ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Coding Snacks

Lightweight App that displays files in folders/subfolders & allows launching

<< < (7/8) > >>

KodeZwerg:
Hi @KodeZwerg! Thank you VERY much for your consideration!
-dcsev (March 24, 2021, 12:00 AM)
--- End quote ---
You are welcome!

I'd like to ask one more question if I may.
--- End quote ---
Ask as much as you can to have the best result whats possible!
Let's create something perfect instead of wasting my time designing something that I like but you don't.
For developers there isn't too much information, rather the opposite, there is a lack of communication.
So let's work together to realize what you actually need, just don't hold back with questions!

Brace yourself, lol, I think this one is really out of the question since it is a big ask but I wanted to run it by you just in case.
Would it be  possible for the app to read the files inside a ZIP file as the data?  The reason I ask if copying 25,000 files is a real chore especially having to do it over & over a network; copy  1 large zip file would make things super easier.  I don't know what the performance would be like, but if it makes things super-complicated or slows things to a crawl just reading the files then I would cross this last point out. 

Let me know what your thoughts are about this and thanks again for even being willing to consider.
--- End quote ---
I am sorry if I may understand it wrong, thats why I reask to be sure.
If I unterstand that correctly, you don't want to have a normal explorer replacement anymore and everything said is obsolete, instead you want a GUI for one large zip container?
My first thought is, all my speed bonus is gone at once since I can not work with PIDL anymore.
(The FileShell tool from me can already look into zip files, but I do not have any control about content.)
I like to admit that I haven't have any experience with opening and displaying a zip container that contains 30,000 files!
I wrote that my high performance was due to the Windows PIDL mechanism, but I wasn't being completely honest about that.
The high boost comes from the fact that I only load and evaluate what can be shown on the screen.
Whether I can do the same with zip content is a rumor at first.
I can already think of a few basic tricks how I'm not the slowest on the market, but whether I can do it all ... phew ...
The problem with the speed is due to the fact what a zip file actually is and how you can address it.
The wish to be able to call up files from the zip is granted, although I still classify printing as problematic.

My suggestion would be to test my FileShell program with your zip file. so just double-click plus wait and drink tea (I have no Idea how long it needs).
Another problem could be icons, in the real file system I can read them out and display them without any problems, but how it all comes across in zips ... tell me
I will soon upload a version in advance so that you can decide how we should proceed. Deal?

dcsev:
Sounds good man! Happy to test out the file shell app and see how it functions. Should I use the original one posted above or the custom one you’re making?

The new info I provided  was when the app launched it would read the files in the zip files as folder structures and if I needed to launch one of the files, I just double click And boom it launches the PDF or RTF file in the default app in the system. 

KodeZwerg:
Sounds good man! Happy to test out the file shell app and see how it functions. Should I use the original one posted above or the custom one you’re making?
-dcsev (March 24, 2021, 02:00 AM)
--- End quote ---
As said, FileShell has already zpi file capability, try it with your xxl zip ;)
But I did not tested much... I did integrate a color scheme, red means file is not physical present, I guess that all files will be marked red.

The new info I provided  was when the app launched it would read the files in the zip files as folder structures and if I needed to launch one of the files, I just double click And boom it launches the PDF or RTF file in the default app in the system.
-dcsev (March 24, 2021, 02:00 AM)
--- End quote ---
The Demo that I will soon provide, will have first of all "listing files inside archive" capability, extract files to run them will be no problem.

dcsev:
As said, FileShell has already zpi file capability, try it with your xxl zip ;)
But I did not tested much... I did integrate a color scheme, red means file is not physical present, I guess that all files will be marked red.
--- End quote ---

Yes, I just tried this out and it works beautifully!! I am left to wonder if it's better for the app to go to a data.zip, but the only problem with that is that I don't think FileShell will be able to have a search field with search-as-you-type functionality I'm assuming.    Looking forward to a demo.

n8wachT:
First, download Editpad 3 (portable). It is a text editor, but look closely in the folder for the program ''minipath.exe.''

Download Editpad3

Lightweight App that displays files in folders/subfolders & allows launching

This little file browser might enjoy you..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version