ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Coding Snacks

Lightweight App that displays files in folders/subfolders & allows launching

<< < (6/8) > >>

KodeZwerg:
Oh, I almost forget about my own project located here.

Due no wishes or replies at all to this project, it was not developed any further.
If needed I can produce a full customized built of it.

dcsev:
Oh, I almost forget about my own project located here.

Due no wishes or replies at all to this project, it was not developed any further.
If needed I can produce a full customized built of it.

-KodeZwerg (March 17, 2021, 03:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, I tried that app and it was very fast in loading the files, but the interface was a little overwhelming for my needs.
 I would very very much appreciate a customized version!!  I know this is super nit-picky (and I'm sorry, lol)  but here's a general layout:

Here's a picture of the design (see attached below) some technical criteria to consider:
1. Should list only files in a subfolder called "Data" located in its own directory. For example, a user places a folder called "Data" in the app's directory and the app reads it from there.

2. The main types of files that will be launched/printed:

* RTF files
PDF files
LNK files (short to RDP file)
.URL (web site)

3. No menu bar needed or desired as it will clutter the interface.  One can quit the app using top right X.
3. Be able to read & list up to 20-30,000 files in multiple directories. Your apps are lightning fast so I don't see this as a problem.
4. You can put generic names in the titles "AppTitle"  and I can modify those in the source code.
5. Settings window allows to configure font, & font size & relative data path

Other considerations:
1. I assume since these are made in AHK there will be no dependencies or prerequisite software
2. I will be avoiding using MPRESS or UPX compression as I need to avoid the identification of this software as malware by McAfee AV. I checked splaylistmaker as an example, and happy to say most brand name AVs don't mark the app as malware) :)
3. Source code is needed to make very basic (non-programming) adjustments if needed.
4. I know this is a standard for all your apps, I would need it to be completely portable (store all settings in config.ini like your other brilliant apps). 
5.  I would need to be able to launch the app via USB key so making the directories relative (e.g. \Data vs C:\Data) is of critical importance.
6. Should not access network since all files will be stored locally

dcsev:
Here you go.

[ Invalid Attachment ]
-GirkovArpa (March 12, 2021, 11:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hi Girkov!   I'm sorry I missed yours + all these other posts. For some reason I got only 1 notification from D.C. about a reply (KodeZwerg's first reply) and never got notified about the others :( Anyhoo, I tried the app and unfortunately there was  several problems:
1) Launching a PDF from the directory causes a command prompt to open but not the file itself
2) The window can't seem to be resized properly
3) The app takes 5 times longer than other apps to open the folder with 20,000 files in it
4)  no search-as-you-type search field functionality :(

KodeZwerg:
Yes, I tried that app and it was very fast in loading the files, but the interface was a little overwhelming for my needs.
 I would very very much appreciate a customized version!!
-dcsev (March 23, 2021, 12:43 AM)
--- End quote ---
Adjusting the surface as it is shown in your picture is the least problem.
Yes it is lightning fast because I use PIDL techniques. (the content shown comes directly from windows, my program does not have to read the directory)

Here's a picture of the design (see attached below) some technical criteria to consider:
1. Should list only files in a subfolder called "Data" located in its own directory. For example, a user places a folder called "Data" in the app's directory and the app reads it from there.
--- End quote ---
This is not a challenge, so yes, it can be done.

2. The main types of files that will be launched/printed:

* RTF files
PDF files
LNK files (short to RDP file)
.URL (web site)
--- End quote ---
Limiting the output to your desired file extensions is no hurdle.

3. No menu bar needed or desired as it will clutter the interface.  One can quit the app using top right X.
--- End quote ---
Read what I wrote above, so yes.

4. You can put generic names in the titles "AppTitle"  and I can modify those in the source code.
--- End quote ---
I can provide this option via .ini functionality.
(the source text for my program does not exist. this is my intellectual property and it stays with it)

5. Settings window allows to configure font, & font size & relative data path
--- End quote ---
I still have to think about that.

1. I assume since these are made in AHK there will be no dependencies or prerequisite software
--- End quote ---
My program was developed with the Delphi programming language and not with AHK.
But yes, it is independent and only requires basic WindowsOS resources.

2. I will be avoiding using MPRESS or UPX compression as I need to avoid the identification of this software as malware by McAfee AV. I checked splaylistmaker as an example, and happy to say
--- End quote ---
When the time comes, I can offer an uncompressed version.

3. Source code is needed to make very basic (non-programming) adjustments if needed.
--- End quote ---
That will not happen. It has to be enough that I offer my programs free of charge without asking for a fee.

4. I know this is a standard for all your apps, I would need it to be completely portable (store all settings in config.ini like your other brilliant apps). 
--- End quote ---
As already said a bit above, yes no problem.

5.  I would need to be able to launch the app via USB key so making the directories relative (e.g. \Data vs C:\Data) is of critical importance.
--- End quote ---
Being portable is and always has been my goal when creating applications.

6. Should not access network since all files will be stored locally
--- End quote ---
Since the wish was only expressed in a certain subfolder of the program itself to look for folders and files, this remark is obsolete.

Please read everything that is said in this letter very carefully.
If you have a problem with one of my statements, tell me.
As long as I don't hear from you, nothing will be done on my part.
That was it on my part for the time being.

dcsev:
Hi @KodeZwerg! Thank you VERY much for your consideration!

Adjusting the surface as it is shown in your picture is the least problem.

--- End quote ---

Sounds great!

Yes it is lightning fast because I use PIDL techniques. (the content shown comes directly from windows, my program does not have to read the directory)

--- End quote ---

I'll take lightning fast :D

This is not a challenge, so yes, it can be done.

--- End quote ---

Perfect!

Limiting the output to your desired file extensions is no hurdle.

--- End quote ---

You can ignore the request for limiting the output of the desired file.  If we're limiting the view to the subfolder /Data then that'll be a given so there's no need to waste your time writing extra code to limit what files to read. :D

Read what I wrote above, so yes.

--- End quote ---

Sounds great.

I can provide this option via .ini functionality.
(the source text for my program does not exist. this is my intellectual property and it stays with it)
--- End quote ---

Agreed! That works for me.

I still have to think about that.
--- End quote ---

Don't worry about this.  I've thought about it and it's really not that important to me.

My program was developed with the Delphi programming language and not with AHK.
But yes, it is independent and only requires basic WindowsOS resources.

--- End quote ---

When the time comes, I can offer an uncompressed version
--- End quote ---

Agreed on all points above!!

That will not happen. It has to be enough that I offer my programs free of charge without asking for a fee.

--- End quote ---

That's reasonable. Since it's written in Delphi I doubt I can make any reasonable modifications anyways, LOL!! :D

Being portable is and always has been my goal when creating applications.

--- End quote ---

Thank you for that.  It's amazing to me how many non-portable software programs there are out there (not speaking in relation to donation coder, of course as 99% of the software here is portable)

Since the wish was only expressed in a certain subfolder of the program itself to look for folders and files, this remark is obsolete
--- End quote ---

Yep, you're right.

I'd like to ask one more question if I may. Brace yourself, lol, I think this one is really out of the question since it is a big ask but I wanted to run it by you just in case.
Would it be  possible for the app to read the files inside a ZIP file as the data?  The reason I ask if copying 25,000 files is a real chore especially having to do it over & over a network; copy  1 large zip file would make things super easier.  I don't know what the performance would be like, but if it makes things super-complicated or slows things to a crawl just reading the files then I would cross this last point out. 

Let me know what your thoughts are about this and thanks again for even being willing to consider. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version