ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Coding Snacks

Lightweight App that displays files in folders/subfolders & allows launching

(1/8) > >>

dcsev:
Hi all,
I'm looking for a very specific app to help out a non-profit.

Something like this:
Lightweight App that displays files in folders/subfolders & allows launching

1. Reads all the files/folders in a specific directory and allows the user to run it from the local machine. The great majority of files will be PDFs & RTF files.  Must NOT be able to open the folders themselves and give access to the explorer file directory.
2. Needs a search functionality built in that searches inside the aforementioned (ideally search as you type).
3. Needs to have a very lightweight/quick interface as there will be close to 22,000 files in the folder.

I had tried to use Snap2HTML to create a structure of the folders in HTML and then converted the HTML EXE.  This process took me about 15 hours to work through & figure out only to get stuck at a technical limitation of HTML :(

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

wraith808:
So you want a kiosk app that displays the files and folders in a directory and allows you to launch them... is that pretty much it?

dcsev:
So you want a kiosk app that displays the files and folders in a directory and allows you to launch them... is that pretty much it?

-wraith808 (December 09, 2020, 09:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ya, I guess that's the best way to summarize it.  I don't want them to be able to open the folder, just the files. I  hope this request isn't too far out there. :(

wraith808:
What version of Windows will you be running?  Windows 10 Enterprise and Educational (and maybe Pro) already have this in the OS.

dcsev:
What version of Windows will you be running?  Windows 10 Enterprise and Educational (and maybe Pro) already have this in the OS.

-wraith808 (December 10, 2020, 07:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

We use Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC.  They've been talking about bring Kiosk mode for a long time, but unless I am missing something this won't replace the functionality of an app with a basic interface to be able to scroll through various files.

Does anyone know any apps (paid or free) that could build such an app without knowing any programming?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version