ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

ZeroTier - a Global Area Network

(1/1)

4wd:
Something that hasn't been mentioned in the forum before, (that I can find anyway), ZeroTier.

Similar to the old Hamachiw program, (by Alex Pankratov), ZeroTier creates a wide area encrypted VLAN.

ZeroTier is a smart programmable Ethernet switch for planet Earth. It allows all networked devices, VMs, containers, and applications to communicate as if they all reside in the same physical data center or cloud region.

This is accomplished by combining a cryptographically addressed and secure peer to peer network (termed VL1) with an Ethernet emulation layer somewhat similar to VXLAN (termed VL2). Our VL2 Ethernet virtualization layer includes advanced enterprise SDN features like fine grained access control rules for network micro-segmentation and security monitoring.
--- End quote ---

You can use ZeroTier's hosted controllers, (there's a free level which allows up to 50 nodes but only one Network Admin, which is great for home users), or host your own controller - the source code is available on GitHub.

Currently, I've connected my phone, tablet, computer, and two RasPi's to a network and they're all talking to one another without a problem.

This is especially great as I have web interfaces on the two RasPi's that I currently access via reverse proxy as well as VNC, SSH, etc.  Switching to ZeroTier means I can do away with DNS setups, reverse proxy, and just access the various interfaces, VNC, etc via an IP, (eg. 172.26.x.x, 192.168.x.x, etc), and close any misc open ports I have in the router.

Download's are available for Windows, MacOS, Android, iOS, Linux, FreeBSD, and NAS's, there's also various Docker images available.

Setup up for all of them only took a minute or two.

Deozaan:
This looks really useful! Thanks for bringing it to our attention. :Thmbsup:

wraith808:
This looks really useful! Thanks for bringing it to our attention. :Thmbsup:
-Deozaan (November 30, 2020, 02:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

Agreed!  Not quite sure how I'll integrate this yet, but it's nice to have it as an option.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version