ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: Battery indicator in Window Titles

(1/4) > >>

SleepingWolf:
Hi folks,
   There are a plethora of different battery indicator thingies out there (power circle and battery cat for example). But the problem with laptops is that you need to remember to ALT-TAB to the program to check the status of your battery -by the time you think to check, the ruddy thing has shut down or hibernated on you.

What I'm thinking of is something that will print the battery percentage in some form in the title bar of the current active window -it could be appended to the window's title or implemented as a kind of overlay (see Skrommel's TicTocTitle) for an example. In fact, it could even be incorporated as an option in that handy piece of freeware!

The (almost) ubiquity of the Windows titlebar on most software should ensure that the battery indicator level is foremost in the mind of the user -think of it as subliminal information!

I hope that is clear and an easy task...

publicdomain:
   The (almost) ubiquity of the Windows titlebar on most software should ensure that the battery indicator level is foremost in the mind of the user -think of it as subliminal information!

I hope that is clear and an easy task...
-SleepingWolf (November 06, 2020, 03:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

It is! I'm on it :Thmbsup:

SleepingWolf:
Thanks, Vic.

c.gingerich:
Here is a quick and dirty app I made called Title Battery.

No install, just run and it sits in the system tray. Click the icon for the menu to exit, No custom features, It uses the following command line to get the battery. Tested on Windows 10.

--- ---WMIC PATH Win32_Battery Get EstimatedChargeRemaining
https://filedn.com/lx9UK6VkCuXBk4O2YliWIkY/Title%20Battery.zip

SleepingWolf:
Hi c.gingerich, I'm afraid that is not working on Windows 8.1 (at least on my laptop).

On most windows with titles, I can see the title is appended with the characters "- [Battery life remaining: %]" (note that no number is shown before the % sign) before the original title-part is deleted one character at a time -at a rate of roughly one char a second. Therefore, after a few seconds, the windows' title is shown in WinLister as "- [Battery life remaining: %]" and of course there are many such windows, now with unhelpful names.

I'd upload some screenshots, but I'm not sure how to go about that... it will keep for now! Thanks for trying, perhaps other Windows 8.1 users can also try it and verify whether it works, as my system is far from standard! If one person benefits then, (assuming it WAS a quick hack), it would have been worth while.

IDEA: Battery indicator in Window Titles

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version