ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How to manually set clock in Windows 10 Pro?

(1/2) > >>

rjbull:
UK clocks have recently gone back for Daylight Saving time.  My Windows 10 Pro is still showing summer time, not winter time.  I went to Settings > Date & time.  The date is correct.  "Adjust for daylight saving time automatically" was On.  I clicked "Sync now" and had to elevate to Admin (Really?  Just to correct the clock?).  Time server: time.windows.com.  Waited and waited while the little dots trudged around.  Eventually, "Time synchronisation failed."  Tried again with "Adjust for daylight saving time automatically" Off, same result.  Tried again with it On, same again...

Please, is there any way to set the clock MANUALLY?

<rjbull seethes with frustration>

4wd:
Try changing the time server to something other than Microsoft.

The public servers at NTP.org have always been better for me, for the UK try: uk.pool.ntp.org

The above will round-robin through, currently, 329 NTP servers in the UK, (split 213 IPv4/116 IPv6).

And yes, to change the system time requires admin.

If it still won't sync then the usual culprits: firewall, service, etc, Event log may give more info.

Shades:
As far as I know the US (all Windows installations use time server 'time.windows.com') implement DST when winter solstice/summer solstice occur. Most of the rest of the world use the change of seasons to implement DST. There is usually a 2 to 3 weeks difference between these events.

If you think this is already bad, try living in a country where the president decides the DST implementation. Solstices and season changes are more or less set in stone. Randomness introduced by 'el Presidente' is much more frustrating. Believe me.

Anyway, if you have dealings with other continents, better use the NTP servers available for that continent. Since I have set my router to use the time server '0.south-america.pool.ntp.org' and all computers behind it to use the router as their main clock, there is a lot less headache on my end. The 0 in the name of that server indicates stratum 0, the closest you can get to having the same time as the atomic clocks that are spread over the world. A higher stratum number mean that there can be inaccuracies between the time of that server. Also, when you take the time from a stratum 0 server, the inaccuracies of the clock hardware inside your computer/laptop/tablet/phone automatically turns this in a stratum 1 time registration.

For some types of business it is vital to have a stratum as low as possible. Most people don't need to be on the stratum 0 level of accuracy. Which is good, as capacity is limited.

4wd:
Most of the rest of the world use the change of seasons to implement DST.-Shades (October 30, 2020, 09:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

Except Australia where we made it easier by just making it the first Sunday in October to the first Sunday in April.

... but only in the southern/eastern states/territories, the northern/western states/territories don't bother with DST at all 😆

Deozaan:

* Right-click the clock in the tray.
* Select "Adjust Date/Time"
* Deselect "Set Time Automatically"
* Click "Change" below "Set the date and time manually"
* Set the time and date to your preference.
* Click "Change" to confirm your changes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version