ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

When rubber (computer mouse) gets old and sticky, what can you do

<< < (2/2)

Ath:
If the fading rubber is the only problem the mouse has, of course.
-Shades (October 28, 2020, 09:32 AM)
--- End quote ---
My experience is that once the external of the mouse is (severely) deteriorated, than the internals aren't that good as well.

Recently replaced a switch on 3 Logitech M705's, where they started to double-click 'for free', but on 2 of the 3 I also need to replace the other switch, it seems. And it isn't a bad batch either, as the ages of those 3 are quite different (youngest being < 1 yr old when it started failing, second ~5 yr and oldest > 7 yr before it failed).

c.gingerich:
This is what I do and it works a treat.

Methylated spirits/denatured alcohol should remove the offending material, but you'll want to clean it all off
-Target (October 28, 2020, 06:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

4wd:
My experience is that once the external of the mouse is (severely) deteriorated, than the internals aren't that good as well.-Ath (October 28, 2020, 11:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

After 11 years, my CM Sentinel Advance still works well, coating fully wore off about 5 years ago.

Apart from the coating about the only problems with it is that some of the OLED segments are a little dim and the coating they had on the metal mesh inserts started wearing off - so I removed them, cleaned to bare metal, then applied gun blue about 6 or 7 years ago.

IIRC, the removal of the metal mesh to gun blue it has been the only time I've had it apart to clean it ... must be time to give it another surprise 😬

Stoic Joker:
This is what I do and it works a treat.

Methylated spirits/denatured alcohol should remove the offending material, but you'll want to clean it all off
-Target (October 28, 2020, 06:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

-c.gingerich (October 28, 2020, 11:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

Same here, but with a spray surface cleaner (Stoner brand I think) that they use at the office. Also consider using it to clean the mouse pad if it has a hard(ish) plastic surface, as they can get a bit tacky as well over time.

Just had to do this (both) at work a few months back. Quarter fold paper towel, spray some in the center, wipe down mouse and pad.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version