ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Virtual desktop tools?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Ath:
Sounds like you are using it for personal use, so Dexpot, as suggested in the link you provided, sounds like a very good candidate.

The last update for mDesktop was in 2018, and the support department hasn't been around/active since 2014, it seems :-\, so I'd not even have tried it, would I've been in your shoes...

Lintalist:
I tried https://virtuawin.sourceforge.io/ in the past (Windows 7, worked well) - homepage says it works on Windows 10 so might be worth trying.

brotherS:
I used AltDesk when I wanted to do it- http://www.astonshell.com/altdesk/

Hasn't been updated since 2010, but it still works.
-wraith808 (October 24, 2020, 01:46 PM)
--- End quote ---
I'll skip this one, the UI doesn't look appealing to me.  8)

Sounds like you are using it for personal use, so Dexpot, as suggested in the link you provided, sounds like a very good candidate.
-Ath (October 24, 2020, 01:49 PM)
--- End quote ---
I thought so too, at first, but then I read that they acknowledged Windows 10 issues in 2016, promising an update... but the last available version is from 2014.  :down:

The last update for mDesktop was in 2018, and the support department hasn't been around/active since 2014, it seems :-\, so I'd not even have tried it, would I've been in your shoes...
-Ath (October 24, 2020, 01:49 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yeah, sometimes I'm adventurous/stupid like that...  8)

Thanks, Lintalist, I just tried VirtuaWin (the installer didn't mention Windows 10 and the UI looks like it hasn't received updates in years), but that resulted in a similarly negative experience as with mDesktop. Everything was suddenly hidden! At least I managed to unhide everything (but to only one desktop... weird!), but the UI isn't really self-explanatory. :(

So far this has been quite a frustrating experience. Did everyone more or less give up working on software in this category when Windows 10 came around?  :o

4wd:
There's also Desktops from SysInternals, (Microsoft), haven't used it in awhile, might be a bit minimalist though.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-au/sysinternals/downloads/desktops

So far this has been quite a frustrating experience. Did everyone more or less give up working on software in this category when Windows 10 came around?
--- End quote ---

Most probably started going to multi-monitor, monitors became cheaper, which increased screen real estate allowing you to see it all at once rather than cycle through virtual desktops to the one you wanted.

wraith808:
Most probably started going to multi-monitor, monitors became cheaper, which increased screen real estate allowing you to see it all at once rather than cycle through virtual desktops to the one you wanted.
-4wd (October 24, 2020, 04:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

This is the exact situation for me.  I now only use it on Virtual Machines where I'm limited to one screen.  On my other machines, I have more screens than I really use.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version