ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Open/Save Dialog Utilities - response to Nudone's Blog from May

<< < (3/10) > >>

dtrud0h:
Not the same type of program, but one I love is File Targets by moonsoftware. Extends the file menu in explorer with a configurable list of folders, groups of folders, and last selected folder to either copy to, or move a file, or folder to.  I find it indispensible.  Really blows away the copy to/ move to entries that M.S. wasted the space for.  Best of all.......YUP FREE

mouser:
lets post the urls when we mention software:

filetargets: http://www.moonsoftware.com/freeware.asp

definitely a great tool (though i can't get it to work on my current pc for some reason.. directory opus conflict? i dont know.)

Darwin:
I'd forgotten about File Targets - I used it years ago and quite liked it. For me, though, XFileDialogs (http://www.xfilesdialog.com/info.html) is worth the money because it does EXACTLY what I want - resizes menus, remembers my layout preferences, enhances the options available to me (provides history, favourites, convenient links to all my drives - freeing up links in the Places Bar, it's highly configurable with regard to what it will and what it will not replace on a program/dialogue by program/dialogue basis - if needed - and so on). DocCommaner looks good, too, though I haven't installed and tried it yet. I'm happy with the set-up that I have and am loathe at this point to mess with it (I've just come off a disappointing experience playing around with apps that allow users to customise the Places Bar in Office 2000. Some were very good (and freeware!) e.g. ioIsland's Places Bar Tweaker http://www.ioisland.com/downloads/, but I've gone back to TweakUI XP. It provides the same functionality without adding further apps to my setup.

No doubt there are viable alternatives to XFileDialogs that would do exactly what I want but I'm content...

Just my thoughts!

Mike

Scott:
Watch out for the licensing of XFilesDialog.  I registered a copy when the current version was 2.21, and now, to update, I'd have to pay full price again.  For a time after my "subscription" ended, I would have had to pay $20 (what a break, since full price is $26).  But I missed the boat, so tough shit fella, full price for you!

Edit:  Removed "Greedy bastard" remark.

Edit:  Added mention that Folder Express, for $20, offers a policy of lifetime free updates.

Darwin:
Ouch! Thanks for the heads up about this. I am getting seriously ticked off at these kind of licensing practices - unfortunately, I've only become "savvy" to the differences in various licensing options recently and have purchased quite a few apps that feature these sorts of licenses in the past. I wasn't aware that XFilesDialog was one of them. I'll have to give FolderExpress a closer look. Of course, I have to stop and consider if I need to keep upgrading XFilesDialog - it's working perfectly for me right now at version 3.11 - I'll upgrade while my present license allows me to and when my license expires stick with the latest version that I have, rather than fork out more money for another product (Folder Express looks really good, by the way).

C'est la vie...

Mike

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version