ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Slightly warm computer killing my internet speeds...I have no idea why.

<< < (2/2)

Target:
+1 for trying it with another PC/laptop.

failing that, got a spare nic by any chance?   

4wd:
The Cat 6 goes straight into the router (tried multiple wires).  Internet is full speed when computer is cool...slow when it starts getting warmer-Stephen66515 (October 06, 2020, 07:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

Internal or add-on NIC?

How old is it?

If it's internal, plug a NIC in and see if it's the same.

* If it isn't then the likely cause is temp. sensitive components or solder joints in that sub-system, live with the NIC.  I'd probably reflow the solder for the onboard socket ... but that's me :P
* If it does the same thing then you most likely have other problems on the motherboard.

EDIT: Beaten by Target  :Thmbsup:

Target:
and when you say temp, I assume you mean the ambient temp?  If thats the case, what are your system temps like (Mobo, CPU, etc).  Worth having a look regardless as it could be indicative of a larger issue

KynloStephen66515:
and when you say temp, I assume you mean the ambient temp?  If thats the case, what are your system temps like (Mobo, CPU, etc).  Worth having a look regardless as it could be indicative of a larger issue
-Target (October 07, 2020, 01:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

I've checked individual component temps and all seem fine - internal temp is via a sensor on my fan controller and I've mainly been basing it off that.

I've tried it on another machine (laptop) but not able to reproduce at all on there. 

I'm gonna experiment with a few things once my chest infection clears up and I can concentrate enoug to care about it haha

x16wda:
I've tried it on another machine (laptop) but not able to reproduce at all on there. 
-Stephen66515 (October 07, 2020, 10:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

Definitely try another nic if you have a slot, or a usb nic otherwise. They're cheap and it's good to have a spare anyway, the USB ones especially. Maybe it's old enough to have been affected by the 2011 floods in Thailand, or e-caps degrade over time anyway.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version