ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

minor alias problem with "/icon=wmp.ico" (relative icon path)

(1/1)

Nod5:
On one Win10 PC FARR aliases with this kind of result line

--- ---relative path | C:\a.txt /icon=wmp.icodoes not show the icon.

This happens even though the wmp.ico file exists in the same folder as the .alias file, namely

--- ---C:\Users\<username>\Documents\DonationCoder\FindAndRunRobot\AliasGroups\MyCustom
Instead FARR shows this other icon

--- ---C:\Program Files (x86)\FindAndRunRobot\Icons\console.ico
Screenshot:

The exact same alias and icon works ok in FARR on another Win10 PC so this is something specific, though I haven't pinned down the cause yet.
edit: Happens on PC number 2 too after updating FARR on it to the latest latest beta , so perhaps this is a general issue with version 2.250?

Note that the wmp.ico is just an example. This issue happens with any icon, but the wmp.ico comes bundled with Win10 so might be useful if mouser or others want to reproduce/troubleshoot this on their PCs.

What does work:
1. Results lines with absolute paths to an icon files, like

--- ---absolute path | C:\a.txt /icon=C:\test\wmp.icoor even

--- ---absolute path | C:\a.txt /icon=C:\Users\<username>\Documents\DonationCoder\FindAndRunRobot\AliasGroups\MyCustom\wmp.ico

2. If I copy the icon to this location

--- ---C:\Program Files (x86)\FindAndRunRobot\Icons\wmp.icoand restart FARR then aliases with relative paths to the icon now shows the correct icon! That is this

--- --- relative path + icon in C:\Program Files (x86)\FindAndRunRobot\Icons | C:\a.txt /icon=wmp.ico shows this

So FARR on this PC appears to looks for relative path alias icons not next to the .alias file but in C:\Program Files (x86)\FindAndRunRobot\Icons

This is a minor issue - I can just use the absolute path icons as a workaround. But it seems undocumented and I found no setting to change it so worth making a post about.

edit: Relevant FARR help file page that documents the alias icon command
https://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Mouser/findrun/help/alias_tricks.htm
/icon=localfilename_from_aliasdir.ico (icon file must be in same dir as the source xml file defining the alias)
--- End quote ---

Nod5:
News: The issue happens on PC number 2 too after updating FARR on it to the latest latest beta , so perhaps this is a general issue with version 2.250? (Updated first post with this same info.)

Filipe Meira Castro:
Two topics related with icons on the toolbar as well:

Fix: 01. Toolbar shortcut items with relative path are not showing the icon - "..\Winamp Lite\winamp.exe" launches winamp but it does not show the winamp.exe icon while "c:\sw\Winamp Lite\winamp.exe" does! (it does show relative path icons if FARR is restarted but it will remove them again when clicking "Configure Toolbar" and "OK")

Feature: 18. Toolbar shortcut items with custom icon - add option to select a specific icon instead of using the builtin .exe icon - could be handy to assign an icon to batch file as well!.

They are part of my wishlist for Farrv3, It's an old thread but 100% up to date!! heheheeh
https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=36477#msg341347

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version