ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How to delete a folder that Windows can't find?

(1/4) > >>

brotherS:
Somehow my Windows 10 ended up with a folder on C: that it "can't find" when I try to delete it. :o

IIRC I copied or FTP downloaded a folder with a very long name (let's call it "Z"), containing files with long file names. Now I can only rename the folders above Z, but not Z itself. I can't open Z either. Deleting Z or any parent folder fails.

Any ideas? :)

Stoic Joker:
Stuff I've done in the past:
Shorten names from above until it comes into range.
Map a drive letter to something just above the problem folder to "shorten" its path when accessed through the mapped letter.

and if you just want to delete it:
RmDir \\.\C:\[parent folder path] /q /s

Had to use that one a few times to get rid of hacked FTP's with hidden folder trees, using space character named folders.

x16wda:
For a GUI, try Helge Klein SetACL Studio. It will delete anything. Product page here, no cost (used to be commercial).

brotherS:
Yeah, I had already unsuccessfully tried "Shorten names from above until it comes into range."

rmdir did the trick! More info: https://docs.microsoft.com/de-de/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/rmdir

Thanks to both of you!  :)

hpearce:
Make sure you verify it's existence and name in the detail panel as opposed to the tree

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version