topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 7:03 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: Context Menu Buttons (shellex)  (Read 7052 times)

vevy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2020
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: Context Menu Buttons (shellex)
« on: October 02, 2020, 04:31 AM »
Hi,

I have known about this place for years, and a friend advised me that this is a good place to present this request.

I have always wanted something like this:

2.pngIDEA: Context Menu Buttons (shellex) from this 1.pngIDEA: Context Menu Buttons (shellex)

Instead of a line for each app/function, use the horizontal space!

Something speedy which the user can customize the buttons and command.

Existing examples:
Similar "rows of buttons" exist in other systems, even Office AND I remember a shell extension on Windows that had media control buttons to preview audio files from the context menu. That was a long time ago.
linux.pngIDEA: Context Menu Buttons (shellex) mac.pngIDEA: Context Menu Buttons (shellex) office.pngIDEA: Context Menu Buttons (shellex)

You can see many shellex efforts out there, for example here and this old tool by Michal Mutl (mitec.cz):

MIPSE1.JPGIDEA: Context Menu Buttons (shellex) MAISE1.JPGIDEA: Context Menu Buttons (shellex)

So, anyone with the chops?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 06:11 AM by vevy »

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Context Menu Buttons (shellex)
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2020, 10:00 AM »
Cool idea and mockup.  :)  Unfortunately, with standard Windows menus like Explorer uses, I do not think this is possible.  Microsoft Office does not use standard Windows menus, hence its ability to do what you see in that screenshot above.

vevy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2020
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2020, 02:58 PM »
Cool idea and mockup.  :)  Unfortunately, with standard Windows menus like Explorer uses, I do not think this is possible.  Microsoft Office does not use standard Windows menus, hence its ability to do what you see in that screenshot above.

Thanks. Yeah, I was just using Office as an example of the concept.

Which part you think is not possible? Shellex items can have different height and contents than regular shell items. Submenus aside, is there really no method or technique for making multiple clickable items in a shell extension object? Sorry if I am out of my depth.

I know memory can play tricks, but I do remember an explorer addon which let you at least play/pause audio from the context menu some 15 years ago.

publicdomain

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2019
  • Call me Vic!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2022, 08:34 PM »
This is a case of both gentlemen having a good case!

Since the standard menu has been ruled out, a custom context menu "hooked" to the mouse may prove to be the way :)

Vevy's idea can turn into a very useful release! Definitely deserves having time devoted for a workaround.
My name's Victor but do feel free to call me Vic! (now known as "paradisusvic")

❤️ Support on Patreon @ www.patreon.com/paradisusis
New Email/Paypal: paradisusvicgmail.com