ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Cyph - A potential Keybase alternative

<< < (2/2)

wraith808:
I stand corrected.

40hz:
Just out of curiosity...how do they know for sure it'll be immune from cracking by the emerging quantum computing technology? Last I heard, even the mathematicians and cryptography experts (who actually have the requisite credentials and backgrounds to express such an opinion) have been extremely reluctant to say that about any existing or theoretical encryption method that's public information.

Consensus seems to be that once we start seeing more quantum cores out there, the more the concept of encryption will become a thing of the past.

Deozaan:
I know very little about the subject, but I've seen the term "quantum resistant" used sometimes when describing various cryptography algorithms. There's got to be something that can be done to prevent quantum computing from easily cracking certain forms of cryptography. Otherwise the entire cryptocurrency world will be going bottoms-up fast!

wraith808:
Did you sign up Deo?  What do you think this far in?

Deozaan:
Just out of curiosity...how do they know for sure it'll be immune from cracking by the emerging quantum computing technology? Last I heard, even the mathematicians and cryptography experts (who actually have the requisite credentials and backgrounds to express such an opinion) have been extremely reluctant to say that about any existing or theoretical encryption method that's public information.

Consensus seems to be that once we start seeing more quantum cores out there, the more the concept of encryption will become a thing of the past.
-40hz (September 29, 2020, 09:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

I just checked out their homepage and they've got a link about how they use quantum resistant cryptography. They explicitly say they don't claim to be quantum-proof. Here's their explanation:

https://www.cyph.com/blog/quantum-resistance

Did you sign up Deo?  What do you think this far in?
-wraith808 (September 30, 2020, 07:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

I signed up and played around with it for a little while before realizing that it doesn't have (m)any of the features I use Keybase for, such as identification verification and key management. The file storage is only 512MB, which, to be fair, is more than I'm really using even on Keybase (I think I threw a few large (multi-GB) files on Keybase as backups, but haven't touched them in years and they're probably outdated to the point of uselessness now), but Keybase seems to be more user-friendly in how you can access those files, such as mounting a virtual/network drive. And the other features Cyph has are social features, and I don't know anyone else who uses Cyph so it's not like I can test them.

To be fair to Cyph, Keybase is also fairly niche and I don't really use it that often, either. But Keybase feels a lot more mature as far as development, features, and user-friendliness go, and seems more immediately useful to me than what Cyph has to offer.

Keybase is something that I really like the idea of, but have found little practical use for in the real world. Even so, I'm still using it (occasionally) years later and (re)installing it on new devices or after an OS wipe on my PC. Cyph is something I looked into and played with for an hour or two and then promptly forgot about.

Also, I'm pretty sure I signed up for the Cyph waiting list because the email invite I got to my Keybase account was to a secondary account I don't use very often, and I wanted to sign up with my primary account. But I've never heard back about that, so I guess I'm still in waiting list limbo or something.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version