ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Coding Snacks

ControlZ x times

(1/7) > >>

Contro:
In pspad I have the option to undone the last change with control+z as usual.
I change a file very often and the backup is not useful I think. Besides may be an answer to several programs. Include Microsoft Word.

Can I have an AHK script to go back or undone in the opened file x times ? Do and undone with flexibility is better because we don't know how many keystrokes control+z are necessary until reach the target...

:-* :P

Ath:
Undo/Redo support can only effectively be built into the software that is used/meant to work on a filetype. No way of adding that externally, other than implementing a local git repo and committing every change, and that is quite impractical.
This is also the reason the way Undo/Redo is implemented differently in different software, as not all file formats are maintained equally (flexible) in memory, by the matching software.

Shades:
The versioning built into Microsoft Office....it isn't that useful. Not after you have experienced what real versioning functionality (backed by a decent versioning software like Git, Mercurial, SVN or even the venerable CVS and RCS) can do. Especially with text-based file formats (like .txt, .adoc, .md, .php, .c, .bat etc.) this works amazingly, once you get your head around the workflows such systems demand. However, for binary blob file formats (like .docx, .xlsx, .pdf, .png, .jpg etc.) such software is barely usable.

Still, Ath is completely right in stating that such functionality is major overkill for simple Undo's (Control + Z).

Yet the text
Do and undone with flexibility is better because we don't know how many keystrokes control+z are necessary until reach the target...
--- End quote ---
indicates to me that Contro might actually be in the market for a full versioning system. Git is free to download for Windows, Linux and Mac. And there are many free and/or open source Git clients available. Fork, GitExtensions, TortoiseGit etc. allow you to work much easier with the Git versioning system. You could even implement a web-interface for Git. One the more (in)famous ones is GitLab (Linux only!). Gitea is simpler to setup and maintain. It is also much more resource-friendly when compared with the GitLab software.

All of the above does require a good read of the installation instructions and Git clients come with their own manuals as things can get complicated quickly. A good grasp of concepts is essential before embarking on this route. Yet, if you mainly work with binary blob file formats, setting up a versioning system will be almost for nought anyway. But, as Contro mentioned in his post, he was working with PsPad, which is an editor for text-based file formats, so going for a Git setup might prove useful.

Git clients usually have a differential viewer built into them. So it is pretty easy to see the which file is needed to step back to. And if you are not satisfied with those differential viewers, you can get better ones for free as well. WinMerge would be one of the options. Git clients are familiar with this one and send the content you wish to review directly to that software without human interaction. Software like WinMerge also have more/better features for editing and marking differences between files. 

Ath:
indicates to me that Contro might actually be in the market for a full versioning system.
-Shades (September 06, 2020, 03:17 PM)
--- End quote ---
Well, yes and no. Knowing the OP for a while tells me that this is way overcomplicated for the use he has, as for each change to be 'recorded' so it can be reverted, it needs to be committed, and my interpretation of his request, it seems that he would expect it 'as you type', like a built-in undo/redo, and not introduce extra keys to press or mouse-clicks to make.

tomos:
indicates to me that Contro might actually be in the market for a full versioning system.
-Shades (September 06, 2020, 03:17 PM)
--- End quote ---
Well, yes and no. Knowing the OP for a while tells me that this is way overcomplicated for the use he has, as for each change to be 'recorded' so it can be reverted, it needs to be committed, and my interpretation of his request, it seems that he would expect it 'as you type', like a built-in undo/redo, and not introduce extra keys to press or mouse-clicks to make.
-Ath (September 07, 2020, 12:37 AM)
--- End quote ---
Probably. (Although the request is very unclear.)
Filehamster could be an option. It appears to be in development (again). Also requires active input, but iiuc is a lot simpler than full versioning system.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version