ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Are there any good free web site hosting option these days?

<< < (2/2)

wraith808:
Getting a domain, the web hosting, some support, including a (simple) certificate sets you back about 60 USD the first year. Extending the domain after the first year is cheaper (around 50 USD). And if you setup free certificates using 'Let's Encrypt' or similar services, the price drops even further. And I would think that all the money spent can be written (completely/partially) as a business expense. And such a host will have all the tools (for money transfers) in place already, in case the bike shop owner wants to sell stuff online directly.
-Shades (July 20, 2020, 06:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

Since the ask was for free, I didn't even worry about paid options.  And for non-paid, you aren't really going to get your own domain.

Stoic Joker:
It was one of those 'we got to talking' type situations while my bike was on the Dyno last Saturday. He had wanted to start selling parts online a few years back, but got hooked up with some company that was soaking him for 2k a month … yet somehow not actually producing anything useful.

He has a domain name - sort of... - we still have to play the 'who really owns the domain name' game with the (GoDaddy) registrar. But once that is sorted, I'm planning on aiming him at an eBay store that traffic can be directed to through a cheap as possible his-domain-name page. That should cut down on the moving parts as much as possible for him, as I do not want to have to end up maintaining the page/site/wtf ever this turns into. Since the last web project I got roped into turned in such an epic train wreck, that I may never to do any of it ever again.

I had already considered wix, but wanted to hear from a trustworthy bunch about how truly recommended it really was before sending him that way. Alternatively - assuming we can regain control of the account - since it's already apparently a full package GoDaddy show...we could just leave it there. I just hate to because their name, image, and advertisements irk me to no end..

wraith808:
I just hate to because their name, image, and advertisements irk me to no end..
-Stoic Joker (July 22, 2020, 07:05 AM)
--- End quote ---

Agreed.  I have one domain still there because I have clients that use that domain for their nameserver, and I haven't felt assed enough to try to navigate that.  But they take advantage of you, rub it in your face that they take advantage of you, then kick you while you're down.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version