ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Win/IIS to LAMP Converts

<< < (2/4) > >>

Eóin:
I'd recommend a BLPP stack or perhaps a BLPR stack :P

housetier:
I recommend: use what your peers use. That way you can ask for help more easily.

If you want to switch system choose the distribution/operating system with the nicest community. They all have essentially the same features anyway, so getting friendly competent help is the key.  :up:

The next advice is: use what you feel comfortable with. If you can work good with windows and mediocre with linux - use windows! If you hate linux but windows doesn't really cut it - try bsd.

If you are going the linux route, I would like to recommend ubuntu but that it just my preference.  :D

What will you be using the server for?

Renegade:
Heck - the server's just going to be a junk box with throw away sites. I'll try to see if I can get some automated sites making a few bucks, but nothing really serious.

For Apache, I already run IIS and don't want to bother doing a dual web server config. It can be done, but why? That stuff just works better on Linux than on Windows. (I will never install MySQL again on another Windows box.)

I just don't want to get into compiling things and all that nasty unix silliness. I just want to get a LAMP box running. If it's BSD, that's ok as long as I don't have to recompile Apache and MySQL and PostGRESQL and this and that and the kitchen sink. I don't want it to be a time waster - I just want things to work.

So, basically, how do I make that transition as easily as possible?

jpfx:
look up xampp on apachefriends.org, it's great for trying LAMP out on a windows box by using the proggies you would run on Linux.

mouser:
nice find jpfx!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version