ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Need Virtual Desktop software recommendations

<< < (8/8)

PhilB66:
I haven't tried it, so I cannot recommend it, but it looks like fun, and it is freeware. I have no idea if it also is useful, but I guess it is supposed to be just that: 360desktop public beta from http://www.360desktop.com/
-Curt (July 22, 2008, 02:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

A few DC'ers were not impressed with 360desktop. See https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=12305.msg120174#msg120174

Curt:
- I am a little surprised to read how harsh they spoke about 360desktop. I mean, one would think a coder's forum would give a first public beta version a longer line, but they said they tested for less than a minute! I didn't download it myself yesterday, because I couldn't see the point in the very concept, but now I will have to, I must, test and see if it really performs that bad...  :D

Curt:
- I didn't make it very far, though. At the very beginning of installation, before any window had yet appeared, my Firewall (Outpost Pro) asked if I would allow the installation to change my registry! I clicked No, and aborted the procedure. How can it write to registry before asking IF or WHERE I would like to install? Now I understand why some were speaking harshly of this: they were offended, like I am! I won't try it out, either, but of course I too am then unable to speak about it's performance...

f0dder:
Curt: looks like it's part of the WISE installation system - and my guess is that it writes to the "Run" key, in order to be able to clean up temporary files after a windows reboot. Perhaps not the smartest way of handling things, but the company to blame would be the WISE guys (huhu), not the 360desktop people.

That's my guess, anyway.

VideoInPicture:
I just tried 360desktop out and there is nothing wrong with it except that it doesn't move my windows like it's supposed to. :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version