ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Clipboard manager

<< < (3/8) > >>

Scott:
You're welcome, Darwin.  (Love your theory, by the way :))  Once you open the "ClipMate Classic" window, you can select an entry using the arrow keys, and simply hit Enter to paste it in whatever application last had focus before bringing up the ClipMate Classic window.  I emphasize that because ClipMate is smart enough to keep track of what window had focus when you brought up the ClipMate Classic window; so, you can actually flip around among windows, yet still have the selected text (or image) pasted automatically into the correct target window.  (This does also mean that if you want to change the window that the text will go to, you will have to close the ClipMate Classic window, then switch to the correct window, then bring up the ClipMate Classic window again.)

You can also double click on an entry shown in the ClipMate Classic window.

I use Ctrl+Shift+C to open the ClipMate Explorer window, but I can't remember if that's the default (and it doesn't matter--you can change it to whatever you want).  ClipMate Explorer doesn't have the "quick paste" feature; you have to select an entry, and then manually paste the data into the target application.  This is how I happen to use ClipMate the vast majority of the time.

nudone:
it sounds like clipmate might have the hotkey or keyboard navigation options i'd want if i was going to replace clipcache.

just one question: using the keyboard, can you navigate through the different categories you have created when in the classic window or are you restricted to the default/current section that the 'tree' is set to?

Scott:
Thought I mentioned that in my blathering above...  You'd use F6 to change categories in ClipMate, in both the "classic" and the "explorer" window.  (I don't think that particular hotkey is configurable.)  And you can mark any individual category as a "Favorite" (or not) to determine whether or not it is one of the ones selected by that hotkey.

For example, say you have these ClipMate categories:

Inbox
Personal Info
Black Hole

Then you right click the "Inbox" and "Black Hole" categories in the ClipMate "explorer" window, select Properties, and check the "Favorite" option for each.  You do the same for "Personal Info", except that you leave "Favorite" unchecked.  What will happen, then, is that if you open a ClipMate window and press F6, it will alternate between "Inbox" and "Black Hole", but ignore "Personal Info".

Edit:  It may help to note that, in both the "classic" and "explorer" windows, the title bar changes to relect the name of the currently-selected category.

nudone:
ah right, yes, sorry Scott, i see you did mention it earlier. looks like clipmate wins again.

Scott:
No problem.  And the Favorites option isn't very obvious, so I think it was worth mentioning.

Anyone who tried ClipMate some time ago (soon after it hit version 6) may have been turned off by it.  There were some really nasty, and annoying, bugs.  For some reason, I kept it around, and kept reporting its bugs.  The serious bugs (that I know of) are long gone now.  So I'd encourage anyone who tried an earlier version of ClipMate to try the latest.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version