ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Fastest/Easiest HDD to HDD transfer?

<< < (3/3)

Stoic Joker:
For a quick-N-dirty option:

ROBOCOPY:
    Mirror source to target with source security permissions intact:
       C:\> robocopy [source] [target] /MIR /SEC /SECFIX /r:1 /w:1
   Create a log file of screen output:
      Add  /log:filename.txt /tee  to above command string.
Notes on switch options:
The /tee switch gives you console output also – otherwise it’s hours of suspenseful cursor blinking.
/R:x   Sets number of retries per file – default is 1,000,000 – Yeah… WTF?!?
/W:x   Sets number of seconds to wait between retries – default is 30 seconds – Zoiks!
/MIR   Mirrors source files/folders to target file system – However, it will also delete files/folders not on the source list, and skip files that kinda match existing files in the target location.
So if you’re restoring a burnt backup of the System or Boot partition, format it first… Then start the mirroring process. This also eliminates issues with the NTFS default System Information folder.

Ended up using this not too long ago during a ransomware recovery, that required a forced recovery from damaged backups.

It was a monolithic cluster :D ...But I got all of the clients data back minus only about 2 days of work.

(somebody opened an attachment..).

The ransomware had - somehow - managed to delete 3 years of versioned historical backups in the cloud, corrupt the local copy, and decimate the entire network … In less than an hour.

https://www.cybereason.com/blog/the-sodinokibi-ransomware-attack

Yeah...that one.

Zoiks! What a  :D ing mess..

nite_monkey:
I decided to give AOMEI a go, and am currently in the process of cloning the old drive to the new drive... which is taking forever, but is at 79% right now, so I am almost done.

I'm following 4wd's guide, because AOMEI had a free version of their software, and 4wd's guide seemed the easiest method that I can be the most laziest and not have to do much.

Side note: I ordered the drive from Amazon, and it arrived in one of their bubble mailer things, but inside of that was a Newegg box... so I guess Amazon resales Newegg drives. (was sold and shipped by amazon.com)

Edit: So everything seems to have worked. I now have a non-dying drive with two partitions on it. One of which has all of the contents of my old drive, and the other that currently has nothing on it, because I don't feel like moving one of my steam libraries today.

Also, for whatever reason AOMEI decided to make the partition on the new drive  MBR instead of GPT, and I didn't notice it until it was at 85%. Luckily I ran across a free tool called Minitool partition wizard which was able to convert the partition to GPT without deleting the contents of the drive. (AOMEI also could do the job apparently, however I didn't feel like spending $45USD just to convert a partition.

4wd:
MiniTool was the other program I was trying to think of, really good software.

Since it was a clone of the old drive, if it was an MBR drive then the cloned drive would be also, should have mentioned it but most of my drives are GPT to start with so it's rare I have to convert them.

nite_monkey:
MiniTool was the other program I was trying to think of, really good software.

Since it was a clone of the old drive, if it was an MBR drive then the cloned drive would be also, should have mentioned it but most of my drives are GPT to start with so it's rare I have to convert them.
-4wd (June 25, 2020, 06:58 PM)
--- End quote ---
The old drive was GPT, so it is possible that there was a setting somewhere that I missed when I started the clone or something. I'm just glad that I ran across minitool which was able to fix the problem in only a few seconds without me having to format the drive and start over.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version