ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Fastest/Easiest HDD to HDD transfer?

<< < (2/3) > >>

nite_monkey:
I [...] can't afford a giant drive.
-nite_monkey (June 24, 2020, 12:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

* Deozaan eyes the 6TB drive suspiciously.
Kids these days... :P
-Deozaan (June 24, 2020, 12:59 PM)
--- End quote ---
the 6TB drive wasn't super expensive.
Plus the larger drives were either designed for raids, nas, security cameras, or enterprise (no clue how those would work in a consumer build, or what makes them enterprise)

And second... I'm 29.

wraith808:
And second... I'm 29.
-nite_monkey (June 24, 2020, 01:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

To some of us on here... you're still a kid  ;D :Thmbsup:

Shades:
I [...] can't afford a giant drive.
-nite_monkey (June 24, 2020, 12:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

* Deozaan eyes the 6TB drive suspiciously.
Kids these days... :P
-Deozaan (June 24, 2020, 12:59 PM)
--- End quote ---
the 6TB drive wasn't super expensive.
Plus the larger drives were either designed for raids, nas, security cameras, or enterprise (no clue how those would work in a consumer build, or what makes them enterprise)

And second... I'm 29.
-nite_monkey (June 24, 2020, 01:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

More support, more time on guarantee, better quality engineering, better MTBF values, choice in how you wish to connect the drive to your other enterprise-grade hardware. Proper transport from factory to the location where the drive is being assembled into the enterprise-grade system. That is what drives make 'Enterprise'. And all those things come with an enterprise-grade price tag. If you know how consumer-grade hard disks are being shipped, you wonder how it is possible so many drives still work after shipping.

Raid drives are better equipped to handle vibrations....the vibrations other drives cause in a case with many other drives. Storage servers quite often have 40 or more drives built-in. And when all are powered, these cause quite a vibration in the server case and/or rack. Way more than you would expect.

NAS drives use CMR technology for reading/writing and have some of the anti-vibration features of RAID drives, but as a NAS generally uses a smaller amount of drives (4 or 8 drive models are common), they can get away with less.

Drives that store content from security cameras use the 'shingles' technology for/reading writing. First content is written to a cache and when that cache is getting full, the content is getting written in a special way onto the actual platter. By doing this, they can increase the capacity of the drive significantly. But this is not a good technology for use in consumer systems, as it is slow for random reads/writes.

About such things a "kid" usually doesn't know about.  :P

4wd:

* Connect the drive,
* clone the old drive to it using EASUS, AOMEI, etc partitioning software,
* remove the old drive, install the new one,
* boot the computer, if the new drive has the wrong or no drive letter, change it using Windows Drive Manager,
* fire up the partitioning software again and resize the partition and create the second one,
* reboot
Job done ... I've done this more times than I can remember, including 6 times within the last 2 months upgrading my own and friends drives.

Never had a problem with programs that have been cloned to the new drive, worst that has happened has been the drive letter is different, changing it to the correct one and rebooting has always fixed it.
Can always boot into Safe Mode at 4 to fix drive letters and repartition.

m9833:

2. clone the old drive to it using EASUS, AOMEI, etc partitioning software,

-4wd (June 24, 2020, 10:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for the step by step walkthrough. I follow the same process, except the software I use and which has not failed me in the last 4-5 years is the freeware version of Macrium Reflect.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version