ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

A classic menu software like Direct Access for Dos but for Windows 10

(1/4) > >>

tofulover:
Hi, 2nd post here :)

Back in those days when we are still playing with MS Dos 3.3 to MS Dos 5, there is a menu program that I always use (and love). That is the Direct Access 5.0. Of course these days with the Windows and its start menu, a menu program is not so much relevant any more.

However, sometimes I just wish there is a sort of classic menu system for me to launch my favorite programs. I have searched the net for something like this and actually have tried quite a few too but there is just nothing that looks like the Direct Access for me.

I am wondering if there is such a Windows program out there? If not, given this is DonationCoder.com, how much would it cost to do one such program?

Cheers
tofu

Ath:
It would help if you could describe what specific features of Direct Access appeal the most to you, and what other alternatives you have tried.

As you say, there are many programs that try to solve the display of a menu of applications, so there are probably some features that you dislike, or you would have picked one of the existing offerings already.
F.e., have you tried LaunchBar Commander, as provided in the Software section of this site?

tofulover:
It would help if you could describe what specific features of Direct Access appeal the most to you, and what other alternatives you have tried.

As you say, there are many programs that try to solve the display of a menu of applications, so there are probably some features that you dislike, or you would have picked one of the existing offerings already.
F.e., have you tried LaunchBar Commander, as provided in the Software section of this site?
-Ath (June 21, 2020, 06:11 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hi Ath,

What I would like to have is perhaps a simple program that allows one to define a group category for apps, say: Utils, Productivity, Internet, etc and when you click into this category, you see your favourite apps like say Excel, Word, etc. It is just a simplistic launcher. No need fancy icons and bells and whistle. Can be a console based app too as long as it can launch the normal windows programs.

A classic menu software like Direct Access for Dos but for Windows 10

p.s. sorry forgot to say yes I had a look at Launchbar commander. It looks very nice but I am after an app that looks like DA5.1 DOS. I have tried other program launchers in the past - rocket dock, object dock, circle dock, etc.

Ath:
And what is stopping you from using Direct Access DOS? It can be found here

You'll need 7-zip to extract the floppy images inside the 7z files. I didn't try to install though, too far past it's sell-by date for me (it was re-packaged in 2010, but the installer files are dated 1993 :o)

Shades:
The file Install.exe from the archive 'Direct Access 5.19 (3.5)' (for DOS) doesn't work in Windows 10 64-bit. Likely this installer is 16-bit and/or uses 16-bit components. Still, I don't think the installer will work in 32-bit version of Windows 10 either.

Same thing happens with the archive 'Direct Access 1.0 for Windows (1992) (5.25-1.2mb)'.

Still have Winamp version 1.91 around on one of my drives in storage. Software from 1998 IIRC, but it still worked just fine in Windows 10. Not that it is recommended, but old software can and does run in Windows 10.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version