ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

any software can do a batch S&R "multi strings" in "multi files" at a time?

<< < (3/4) > >>

Lintalist:
I thought of SED too but a quick search showed that some people report(ed) problems with unicode files as the cmd window doesn't play too nice with those. But I didn't pay attention to the age of the posts so it may have been resolved, the "windows" SED does support UTF-8 by the looks of it.  :up:

rjbull:

* Minitrue, a Search / Replace Utility.  Free, but:

* Original version
DOS or Linux only
* Recompiled by Jason Hood
Win32 console port. Don't know if it does Unicode.  The rest claim to, and are also WinGUI:

* HandyFile Find And Replace and Text Workbench
perhaps the best Windows utilities for people who have to edit multiple occurences of text at once in many text files, HTML pages, source code, logs or any other text data.

Using a powerful Regular Expression engine, it will enable you to find any irregular text by creating search patterns of any level of complexity. You can preview each replacement, perform batch search and replace operations (that is, apply many search/replace operations to a file at once). The collector feature will extract text from files for you, transform it and save it to one file or individual files. The major edition can search and replace files via FTP. It is what you would like a search and replace tool to be.

--- End quote ---
Various versions, from free to fairly expensive.  I used to use one of the payware versions myself, years ago.
* Handy File Tool
...  Multi-string search-and-replace. It can Find strings in files and replace their to anything
--- End quote ---
Haven't tried it.
* TextCrawler
... tool for anyone who works with text files. This powerful program enables you to instantly find and replace words and phrases across multiple files and folders. It utilises a flexible Regular Expression engine to enable you to create sophisticated searches, preview replace, perform batch operations, extract text from files and more. It is fast and easy to use, and as powerful as you need it to be. ...
--- End quote ---
Haven't tried this either, but it's been around for a number of years.

Those lusting after PowerGREP, but unable to stomach the price: don't overlook BareGrep, which is much more affordable and very, very fast.  Has been mentioned on DC before (long ago).

wraith808:
PowerGREP is the king of this.  However, it demands a King's ransom.  That said, the $159 is cheap if you need that power.  Add that to regexbuddy and your search for things is pretty powerful.
-wraith808 (June 18, 2020, 10:30 AM)
--- End quote ---
I keep telling myself that PowerGREP would be total overkill for anything I might want to do. It's blatantly obvious,  I shouldn't have to tell myself even once.
But,
It also strikes me that having it would mean I'd never have to think about the best way of doing a lot of things. And not having to think can be quite valuable.
-Dormouse (June 18, 2020, 01:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

In my job I had to do this a lot.  Not as much now, but I did before I moved into more of an architectural position rather than coding.  I got regexbuddy to preserve my sanity long before I convinced them to get it for the other devs.  I put off getting this because of sticker shock.  Looking back on things- I got things done.  But this would have paid for itself many times over.  It still could, in all honesty.

But it's rare other than IDEs I pay that much for software.

Those lusting after PowerGREP, but unable to stomach the price: don't overlook BareGrep, which is much more affordable and very, very fast.  Has been mentioned on DC before (long ago).
-rjbull (June 18, 2020, 03:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

That does look cool.  Still lusting after PowerGREP because of the integrated editing...

Dormouse:
My issue is that time is money. And since I wouldn't know what I was doing, less intuitive solutions could be more costly even if they are much cheaper.
And time is even more of an issue since I have to restrict my time using a PC.

Shifting to a file/document based system from databases,  means I need confidence that I can quickly do everything I need  - and I have a lot of text files. And being able to read all the document formats is important.

4wd:
dnGrep - https://dngrep.github.io

dnGrep allows you to search across files with easy-to-read results. Search through text files, Word and Excel documents, PDFs, and archives using text, regular expression, XPath, and phonetic queries. dnGrep includes search-and-replace, whole-file preview, right-click search in File Explorer, and much more.
--- End quote ---

Features:

* Search across text files, Word and Excel documents, and PDFs
* Search for files in archives - zip, 7z, rar, jar, and many more
* Search using text, regular expressions (regex), XPath, and phonetics
* Many search filter options
* Search-and-replace, including undo
* Whole-file preview
* Right-click to search in File Explorer
* Move/copy/delete result files
* Open line results in a custom editor, like Notepad++
* Bookmark search patterns for later use
* Try out complex searches in the Test window
* Save search results
* Light and Dark themes
* Much more!
Just a note: The plugins for Word, Excel, and PDF are search only, no text replacement.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version