ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

any software can do a batch S&R "multi strings" in "multi files" at a time?

<< < (2/4) > >>

wraith808:
PowerGREP is the king of this.  However, it demands a King's ransom.  That said, the $159 is cheap if you need that power.  Add that to regexbuddy and your search for things is pretty powerful.

Shades:
Other "brutal" search-n-replace tools:

* seRapid - Freeware, has not been updated in many years, so how well it holds with Chinese characters, I don't know. But for texts using the default (Windows) ascii characters, it works well. It's saving grace is that it can store the settings of each search-replace session for easy repeats.
* FAR - Freeware, also not updated in years. No great interface either. And when you get it to work, it "flies" through files. But it does allow you to easily search for multiple lines of text and replace these with single or multiple lines of text.
Both can be used as portable apps. In my situation at the time with FAR, I had copied a JRE folder (and underlying subfolder structure) directly into its main folder and then it would be able to start. Still, I had sometimes problems to make it go and do it's thing. While that may put you off, once you experience it's speed, you'll be impressed. My use case contained 600+ AsciiDoc files of different sizes and FAR was really, really fast and accurate.

Dormouse:
PowerGREP is the king of this.  However, it demands a King's ransom.  That said, the $159 is cheap if you need that power.  Add that to regexbuddy and your search for things is pretty powerful.
-wraith808 (June 18, 2020, 10:30 AM)
--- End quote ---
I keep telling myself that PowerGREP would be total overkill for anything I might want to do. It's blatantly obvious,  I shouldn't have to tell myself even once.
But,
It also strikes me that having it would mean I'd never have to think about the best way of doing a lot of things. And not having to think can be quite valuable.

Lintalist:
BK ReplaceEm is a useful tool, still works as far as I know, its free. Not sure how it handles unicode files as it is a bit older
https://web.archive.org/web/20070927213736/http://www.orbit.org/replace/

Otherwise command line options such as powershell https://stackoverflow.com/questions/60034/how-can-you-find-and-replace-text-in-a-file-using-the-windows-command-line-envir#20999154

Edit: a fairly simple AHK script would do it too of course (read find/replace from file, loop files in folder, read file, StrReplace, save file to new folder)

Nod5:
Both these command line tools can do it I think but require some work figuring out the syntax and preparing file lists and search replace lists
- The GNU tool SED has a windows version with binaries on chocolatey.
- the command replace in Swiss File Knife

Having a GUI tool for this would be very useful though. With some easy way to manage (1) lists of search/replace string pairs, (2) file lists, (3) jobs that apply some 1 on some 2.

Best to go easy and test run some first before doing real batch edits to files. Or as Spiderman might say "with grep power comes great regexponsibility".  :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version