ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Some Eudora 7 emails not sending properly

(1/1)

jonrichco:
Hi all. Just joined as a result of seeing Steven Avery’s excellent article on 7 August 2019 on “Eudora, Hermes and Pandora - also compared to TheBat! and other email clients”. https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=48363.0

I have used Eudora 7 since release and earlier versions before that. I have looked at other emailers, but always find that Eudora suits me well.

Around 2 weeks ago I found that some emails that it appeared to send correctly were not reaching their destinations. Whether this was the result of a Windows 10 update I am not sure – I am on 1909 build 18363.836. It receives emails fine. In the past I have had Secure Sockets when Sending turned on but set it to "never" a week ago - I have now reset it to "if available".

I have now updated <libeay32.dll, QCSSL.dll, rootcerts.p7b, and ssleay32.dll> as suggested in the article, and Eudora is working well. However, I am not yet sure that it is sending ok, so thought I would put something on Donationcoder in case there were other issues. I note from a web search that some other POP3 email clients are also having trouble sending, so wonder if there is a general issue and whether there are any fixes that Steven or others can suggest.

I bcc all the emails that I send to myself, so I can check that they are reaching their destinations ok. I will check sends for the next week and edit this if the problem has resolved (which I think it may have).

thechuckster:
I am also in need of a USERS* patch for fixing Eudora Pro 7.x on Windows 10. (x64 here)  (users* because Qualcomm won't fix it)
1809 is the LAST Windows build/version that will allow it to be installed and work. 2004 is the most recent, but another is due out in Nov 2020.

ALL newer versions of Windows (19xx+) will simply not allow it to be installed because it has no digital certificate of authentication, or some other buggered security reason that MS thinks it must impose on users.

The updated files I got from a suggestion here early in 2020 worked great until about 2 months ago when MS started new restrictions.
Now SSL email does not work again.

>>>  ARE THERE A NEWER set of updated files?  (libeay32.dll, QCSSL.dll, rootcerts.p7b, and ssleay32.dll) and other files? for late 2020?  <<<

If you allow MS to simply download   any   FEATURE version update (and get to the point of ready to install even though it has not installed yet) past 1809 then Eudora will fail to even launch.
The fix I have in place for this to keep Eudora working is to daily check the auto downloads MS forces on you now and delete them.
C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution  is where they are put.

ALSO.. more importantly..
services.msc - must be manually run every day to stop the automatic download process.. Windows Update, then right click it and set to disabled.
This will only hold for 2 days max because MS forces it to be turned on remotely!! (within 3 minutes of startup) This cannot be stopped that i know of.
Even just sleep mode will not stop this reactivation.
doing this shuts off any update, including security patches, but...

...you can still allow the update to check and downloads to come in, but if you let the FEATURE version update to complete then you're going to have problems.
Once the security updates download then you can turn off the updates and those will install ok.
You will need to manually run UPDATE from search to check for new.

i have 20GB of mail in my Eudora and no way of converting/transferring it to another compatible app... not even the earlier 2020 thunderbird would see them.
any suggestions?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version