topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 5:59 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Docked Mode is broken, needs more love  (Read 8530 times)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Docked Mode is broken, needs more love
« on: April 19, 2018, 05:04 PM »
The current docking mode is broken in v2.03.

Here's what the current floating window looks like:

PBOL - LD41.png

Here's what the docked window looks like:

PBOL - LD41 Docked.png

I have it set to automatically resize, but it obviously doesn't.

I really wanted to revive this thread requesting a 3rd docking option (always visible, don't reserve space) because I want PBOL to have the minimal docked interface without the title bar and menu bar and I also want it to remain on top of other applications (which is already an option). And ideally I want to be able to have more customization over the dock position so it isn't just snapped to the center of whatever side of the screen it's docked to.

And it would be nice if you added a docking toggle to the context menu for both the window itself and the tray icon. I forgot that docking was set to auto-hide and the app kind of got lost for a while as I tried to figure out how to get it to display again.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 05:10 PM by Deozaan »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Docked Mode is broken, needs more love
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 05:12 PM »
Okay, while investigating this further, I realized I can just click and drag the edges of the window to resize it. So now I've got the docked window large enough to display all the text.

Even so, I'd still like the option to disable auto-hide, so that it is always visible. Or maybe just an option to disable the title bar and the menu bar while in "floating window" mode so I can place it somewhere on my screen for a constant reminder without taking up needless space on those elements that don't need to be visible at all times.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 01:07 AM »
Even so, I'd still like the option to disable auto-hide, so that it is always visible.
You should find such an option on the "Appearances" tab with your choice for "Dock mode".

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 03:05 AM »
Even so, I'd still like the option to disable auto-hide, so that it is always visible.
You should find such an option on the "Appearances" tab with your choice for "Dock mode".

Where?

PBOL Dock Modes.png

Note that I want to disable auto-hide without reserving screen space. Reserving screen space is such an immensely huge waste of my screen's real estate, it boggles my mind that anyone would find such a feature desirable. :huh:

PBOL Docked Reserved Top.pngDocked Mode is broken, needs more love

PBOL Docked Reserved Left.pngDocked Mode is broken, needs more love

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 03:11 AM »
Oh i see, you want it always visible but not taking up space.. let me see what I can do..

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2020, 02:25 AM »
Oh i see, you want it always visible but not taking up space.. let me see what I can do..

I still want this feature so I can use PBOL to see how much time is left for Ludum Dare events. . . :(

I'd like to tuck it away in a corner of my screen I don't use for much of anything, keep it on top of everything (docked to the corner would be great!) but not auto-hide and definitely not waste an entire row or column of screen real estate.

An another thing: It seems PBOL's last update was so long ago that the internal links to the homepage and discussion forum, etc., are broken and haven't been updated since the forum upgrade a few years ago.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2020, 05:17 PM »
If adding another docked mode option is too much work, I'd be happy to have just a way to hide the title bar and menu, as a kind of minimal view, like it looks while docked...

I hate how much space it takes up with the useless stuff I don't need. I just want the countdown timer on my screen so I can quickly glance over and see how much time is left. :(
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 07:32 PM by Deozaan »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2020, 05:45 PM »
Le me see if i can rebuild it and if the code improvements i have made to the docking library since the last PBOL release help.