ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Simple version of a folder lock utility that would require a password for access

<< < (4/5) > >>

x16wda:
Self extracting archive is the way to go. If you compress the file/files/folder with 7-zip, just check the box that says Create SFX Archive. It will create an exe, when it runs it asks where to extract the files (defaults to wherever the exe file is), then asks for the password. Easy peasy. The hardest part will be getting the password to the people in a secure way (not just emailing it).  ;D

KodeZwerg:
I liked Shades post, but I am unsure about the real meaning so here's what I should do:
Extend your site with sFTP.
Doing that you can have multiple login accounts for different allowed things (ie: which folders are accessible, read/write permissions etc....)

Shades:
WebDAV is functionality, built into the HTTP protocol, to create a web-drive. This web drive is in essence the same as GoogleDrive or OneDrive or DropBox etc. etc.
All web-server support this. Have used it myself in the most basic form with the Apache web-server software and that worked well. Added a subdomain to my DNS server behind my static IP and could make a folder structure on the webserver, giving different users access to 1 of those folders each. Password protect it etc.

Does not require you to fiddle with opening up ports on a firewall. The amount of available resources on the web-server you kit out with WebDAV will make the experience. Now if you have a web-server running (either locally in your own network and/or on your registered domain on the internet, I would suggest to install NextCloud. This is a really nice and extensive way to add loads and loads of extra functionality to your server running WebDAV. It is open source and free to install/use. It has even clients for Android and iOS, so you can store/retrieve photos and files from and to your phone(s)/tablet(s), just like GoogleDrive, OneDrive, etc.

Extras being added to your WebDAV server are: (video)chat, OnlyOffice (akin Office 365 online), calendars, internet radio, extensive user access control, file and/or folder sharing, drive quotas and so much more. And you provide all of that on a server you control and/or host yourself. All of the Cloud's goodness, but on your own server.

Whether you see it as an advantage or not is up to you, but you must use a Linux-based web-server, if you plan to deploy NextCloud as the back-end on your WebDAV server. For myself and many here at this forum, that won't be any issue at all. It runs just fine in a Virtual Machine or old computer you still had lying around in a corner. Any Linux distribution will do. Personally, I use Ubuntu Server LTS v20.04 on an old computer based on the Core Duo (dual core) Intel processor with a whopping 2 GByte of RAM. Which is great for a family of 4 (active) persons or less. If you have something with a bit more resources available, it won't be a problem to support 8 persons with NextCloud.

superboyac:
WebDAV is functionality, built into the HTTP protocol, to create a web-drive. This web drive is in essence the same as GoogleDrive or OneDrive or DropBox etc. etc.
All web-server support this. Have used it myself in the most basic form with the Apache web-server software and that worked well. Added a subdomain to my DNS server behind my static IP and could make a folder structure on the webserver, giving different users access to 1 of those folders each. Password protect it etc.

Does not require you to fiddle with opening up ports on a firewall. The amount of available resources on the web-server you kit out with WebDAV will make the experience. Now if you have a web-server running (either locally in your own network and/or on your registered domain on the internet, I would suggest to install NextCloud. This is a really nice and extensive way to add loads and loads of extra functionality to your server running WebDAV. It is open source and free to install/use. It has even clients for Android and iOS, so you can store/retrieve photos and files from and to your phone(s)/tablet(s), just like GoogleDrive, OneDrive, etc.

Extras being added to your WebDAV server are: (video)chat, OnlyOffice (akin Office 365 online), calendars, internet radio, extensive user access control, file and/or folder sharing, drive quotas and so much more. And you provide all of that on a server you control and/or host yourself. All of the Cloud's goodness, but on your own server.

Whether you see it as an advantage or not is up to you, but you must use a Linux-based web-server, if you plan to deploy NextCloud as the back-end on your WebDAV server. For myself and many here at this forum, that won't be any issue at all. It runs just fine in a Virtual Machine or old computer you still had lying around in a corner. Any Linux distribution will do. Personally, I use Ubuntu Server LTS v20.04 on an old computer based on the Core Duo (dual core) Intel processor with a whopping 2 GByte of RAM. Which is great for a family of 4 (active) persons or less. If you have something with a bit more resources available, it won't be a problem to support 8 persons with NextCloud.
-Shades (September 14, 2020, 08:38 AM)
--- End quote ---
ive been having a devil of a time setting up nextcloud to work in a windows domain.  I even purchased a prebuilt hyperv machine to make it easier...still having a hard time.  ill get it soon.   spent several hours so far.

Shades:
Incl. downloading the Linux distro, the NextCloud software, creating the VM and installing NextCloud...that should take about an hour on a Linux computer. Finding out what it does, how to implement the features it has by default, what additions you want and configuring, that took me longer.

Think I spent an hour on getting my spare computer ready for Nextcloud. Usually that process is smoother in a VM than bare metal.
A Windows domain should be able to add a Linux computer into its ranks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version