ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Share your tips and comforts for dealing with the stress and fear of a pandemic

<< < (2/15) > >>

wraith808:
I all honesty, at this point I'm in a "What will happen, will happen" state of mind.

I've been working from home for a while now, so nothing changed there.  I've been sick for a couple of weeks with the Flu (strain A/B) and a bad Sinus Infection, so haven't really been out much.

I know I'm in the "at risk" category, but at this point, it's not really causing any undue concern on my part.  I was following while it was in its ramp up stages, so by the time it reached pandemic status, I already knew it was going to happen.  The reaction to it had been so 'meh' during those stages that it prepared me for us not to be prepared.  So no real reason to become nervous or uncertain on my part, but I feel for the ones that are.  Information and action as opposed to reaction are the keys to fighting it off in my opinion.

IainB:
@mouser:
No rumors or panic in this thread
-mouser (March 18, 2020, 10:19 PM)
--- End quote ---
Aww, that'd be half the fun!
Spoilsport.

app103:
Well, I am one of those people that not only has to work (remotely), but also have extra work to do. So, that's good.

Since I work for an e-learning service, I am going to suggest something that is obvious to me, but might not be that obvious to others. Now is a great time to study something, or get some new skills. There are a lot of online courses you can take, some of them are even free.

If you are stuck at home with a noisy person and just don't want to hear them any more, slap on some headphones and listen to music. Even if you aren't listening to any music, wear the headphones any way. It does prevent people from bothering you to a certain degree, since they don't know there's no sound flowing through them, unless you tell them. So, they won't bother you as much while you are wearing them, because they think you can't hear them.

If you just need a space to get away from the people you live with, try your basement or attic. I've been going down in my basement to walk laps (big basement). You can still go outside, as long as you stay away from people. Go prepare your garden for planting, if you have one. Hang out on a lawn chair or hammock, in your backyard or on your deck, and read a book.

If you are stuck at home with your family or kids, have a spring BBQ with them, play some board games, do some crafts together.

Start a new project, finish an older one, clean your closets, garage, attic, or basement, start work on your NANY2021 project :D, crochet or knit a sweater, scarf, hat, scrap afghan, or whatever, sew up all the holes in your clothing.

Remember all those thing you said you'd do when you get around to it? Well, here's your "round tuit"!

If you really have nothing to do and can set up a VM with some old unsupported version of Windows, PM me, I have a huge software testing project you can help with.

And if it helps, don't think about what is really going on out there. Turn off the TV and/or radio and stay off social media and news sites, Indulge in a bit of mental fantasy, Try to tell yourself that there's a huge blizzard going on, and just stay inside where it's warm & dry. It's really not that much different, except there won't be any snow to shovel when it's all over. Or pretend you are living on a space station.

Whatever you decide to do, try to ENJOY your unplanned vacation and stay healthy!

IainB:
@mouser:
I've been...trying to focus on coding.
-mouser (March 18, 2020, 10:22 PM)
--- End quote ---
What?! You mean you weren't already focused on coding??
Pull your finger out, man!

IainB:
@mouser:
Another *GREAT* activity would be do some things that bring you some sense of security and piece of mind, like backing up your computer.
-mouser (March 19, 2020, 02:38 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, but, for even greater peace of mind and security, I'd recommend a few hours of Fallout4, in "Survival Mode", of course.   :Thmbsup:
That'd change anyone's perspective. #WhuFlu could seem like a walk in the park after that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version