ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

sluggish Win 7 and 10 upgraded to hot Win 10 - transfer automatic or by hand?

(1/2) > >>

Steven Avery:
My biz partner in Oro Valley is saying goodbye to a couple of older puters, hopefully he can reinstall the OS (good to keep images) but their value is minimal anyway, a few years old, maybe one is 7, one is 10.

Two new HP i5 puters with SSD being installed, one from Craigslist, one from Best Bay (open box, big savings). Total cost $950.

So how does he get the new puters loaded with his biz stuff?

1) some automated way from Windows

2) simply reinstall the programs, and bring over any necessary data by hand (I usually use a USB backup or DriveHQ as the intermediary)

3) some other way.

=======================

He is concerned about the time involved in (2), but that is generally my recommended way.  Then I can reconsider each program, and not bring over junkaroony (programs, registry entries, etc.

Your thoughts?

Steven
Dutchess Valley< NY

BGM:
I just upgraded myself from win7 to win10.  My profile was 10 years old.  I chose to do a completely fresh install and manually copy over the settings and files that I wanted to keep.

I also installed a new SSD for my new OS, but I left my old HDD with my old win7 on it as an extra internal hard disk - that way I can fetch any files or settings I want whenever I want.  I did do fresh installs of all my programs that I wanted, but most of the settings I copied from the roaming folder of the old computer to the roaming folder of the new profile.

If you are just doing two or three computers, this way isn't too hard and can be done in a day or two in a mostly casual manner.  If you are doing 10 or more, I'd look for an automated way.

I've never really liked automated methods because I am quite particular on the way my computer is configured.

For moving to win10, I recommend O&O Shutup and O&O AppBuster to get rid of the win10 crap you want.  Then get WinAeroTweaker and OpenShell (newer version of Classic Shell) - between these two apps, you can make your win10 feel almost like your win7 and be quite comfortable with it. 

I am quite pleased with my own upgrade and the way things are working out for me.

rjbull:
I'm doing your (2) method too, because I'm going from 32-bit Vista to 64-bit Windows 10.  But the following claim to transfer software for you:

* Total Uninstall can help transferring or deploying programs
* Paragon Drive Copy Business
* Laplink PC Mover
Sanity check - I haven't tried any of them for this purpose, although I'm using Total Uninstall to monitor certain installations at present.

BGM:
For uninstallation, I just use Geek.exe - it does not monitor, but scans for leftover registry entries and files.  Works pretty well, is simple and I like it alot.  It has a very quick filter.  It can also remove win 10 apps, not just regular programs.

For one or two computers, it seems like a headache to guess what the automated approach would actually do.  When I do it manually, I know exactly what I'm getting - nothing more and nothing less, and for me, there's no alternative to that.

4wd:
Mirin Software has a program that can clone supported programs, CloneApp.

https://www.mirinsoft.com/ms-apps

Haven't tried it since I find it easier to just copy out the 'users' folder before a reinstall, then copy back folders for any reinstalled programs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version