ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Archivarius questions (help using)

<< < (2/5) > >>

IainB:
@YannickDa: That's a nifty and intuitive tip - worth remembering!   :o

Yatom:
@YannickDa: Thank you for such a speedy answer, HOWEVER it is incorrect.  Even though it says "EXACT MATCH" it really isn't.  Just try it yourself.  In fact, all it does is add "" marks around the word or phrase, which you can do manually yourself in the regular search field.  But it will *not* find the exact search, even though it claims it will.

Case in point: I just searched "Nazarenes" (plural) using your suggestion, and it returned hits with just "Nazarene"  This is problematic because adding the "s" on the end gives the word a whole different connotation.  So basically, with an index of 10,000 files, I'm getting hundreds or thousands of false hits, just because the program can't tell the difference between "Nazarenes" and "Nazarene."

Correct me please, if you find another way; but friends, I've tried for a *month* to manipulate or figure out a workaround to actually do an *exact* search, and the program simply won't do it.  Yes, it *claims* to do "Exact" search, but bottom line, it does not.

Dormouse:
I haven't used Archivarius for a long time - I've just checked and I don't even have it installed at the moment - so I'm not in the best position to answer your questions.

My only comment is on your Nazarene Vs Nazarenes question. I don't know whether you have tried a search with a space at the end of Nazarene. Some programs will ignore spaces, but I've found surprisingly often that I have to use spaces to make a program do what I want; before and after, depending on the word.

wrt Likasoft generally, I've noticed that updates have been coming infrequently (last update 2018) and I wonder if its writer's attention may mostly be elsewhere.

Yatom:
I appreciate the suggestion on "Nazarenes" vs. "Nazarene" but it doesn't work.  I've tried everything.

"Nazarenes"
"Nazarenes "
"Nazarenes_"
"Nazarenes?"
"Nazarenes*"

I've even tried the so-called "space sensitive" search, which takes a relatively long time to run.  It returns files in the results menu, but doesn't highlight or total any actual hits. That's obviously useless.

So absolutely nothing works to get a *true literal / exact search*.  That is totally asinine, if you ask me.  Who would build a program to search files (especially one as powerful as this), and yet not allow it to perform a literal, or exact search--not even on a *single word*?

Again, I've just downloaded dtSearch, and it indexes fast, and searches relatively fast (slower than Archivarius), but it takes FOREVER to display the results in any file.  I have a 750MB pdf file that is a huge repository of OCR'd information that I regularly search.  Archivarius opens it in 3 seconds.  DtSearch takes 60 seconds, and then freezes.  So that's obviously a no-go.

Can any other search program come close to the power of Archivarius, but also offer a (true) exact search, and greater vicinity/proximity search than a mere 10-word limit?  All your wisdom and experience will be appreciated.

Dormouse:
Any possibility of a Nazarene -Nazarenes working?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version