topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:42 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Windows Launcher by Only One Key  (Read 11769 times)

Sorryformyen

• Participant
  • Joined in 2019
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Windows Launcher by Only One Key
« on: February 16, 2020, 10:22 AM »
Hi,

Does anyone develop or know any launcher for Windows that is as similar as possible to the SiteLauncher add-on for Firefox and Google Chrome browsers?

Since I don't want to launch websites but folders, files and applications, what I found closest to now was Madproton's MaxLauncher, but unfortunately it has a limited number of keys and little visual customization.

Besides, I was hoping for something like this...
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 10:52 AM by Sorryformyen »

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows Launcher by Only One Key
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2020, 11:23 AM »
What about Open-Shell?  It transforms the Windows Start Menu and makes it quite useful.  I'm actually using it as my launcher.  Open-Shell is the newest version of Classic Shell.

I used to use a-suite, which does a nice job.

However, those are menu-based launchers, not tile-based like what you are showing.  Personally, I like menu-based launchers because you can easily find things and don't have to scan a thousand squares.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2020, 01:59 PM »
I think in the implementation that he's showing you remember the key for the item.  Still seems like a lot to me.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2020, 04:01 PM »
Possibly something like Program Picker from Bond Interface Design?

Unfortunately the website seems to be defunct but maybe you can find a contact somewhere.

Internet Archive
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 04:10 PM by 4wd »

Sorryformyen

• Participant
  • Joined in 2019
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2020, 07:30 PM »
BGM,
I've been using ClassicShell for about 8 years and I just haven't upgraded to OpenShell yet out of sheer laziness. In addition, ClassicShell works incredibly well for my needs. In any case, menus do not serve the true quick launch function. I use them only when I need to search the computer's content faster than if I wanted to go through the folder path. With real launchers, the initial visual mess goes over time giving way to memorizing where things are without many clicks or with as little as possible.

wraith808,
That's what I thought when I started using SiteLauncher in 2009, since then I need to keep adapting the code to each version of the browser :D

4wd,
This seems to have more functions than I would be able to use in one lifetime, less a very important function for me: visual customization, or at least as far as I could see.

Thank you all for the feedback!

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2020, 09:52 PM »
Website has returned, wasn't alive earlier: The Bond Interface

... less a very important function for me: visual customization, or at least as far as I could see.

Send him an email, maybe he can help ... the program can be trialled for 90 days, maybe it will grow on you ;)

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2020, 09:48 AM »

Still on 25% off offer at Bits du Jour

Possible freeware alternative:  Qsel by Horst Schaeffer.
qsel1.pngqsel1s.png

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2020, 05:02 PM »
It's funny- malwarebytes blocks that Qsel site, but virustotal shows it as clean from malwarebytes

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2020, 11:30 AM »
It's funny- malwarebytes blocks that Qsel site, but virustotal shows it as clean from malwarebytes

I reported both the false positive, and your post, to Malwarebytes.  They replied the block would be removed in the next database update, but didn't comment on the odd VirusTotal result.

mbaas

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2020, 05:36 AM »

... less a very important function for me: visual customization, or at least as far as I could see.

Send him an email, maybe he can help ... the program can be trialled for 90 days, maybe it will grow on you ;)

4wd, thanks for that suggestion! I downloaded it and used it for a day - really liked it. The next day it stopped working :(( I finally got to the err-msg which is about not being able to access a StartMenu-Folder. Opened a support-ticket (yesterday), no reply yet. Did you get any response to your email?

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2020, 12:56 AM »
Did you get any response to your email?

Email? What email?

I was suggesting the OP email the company w.r.t. his visual customisation question.

mbaas

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2020, 04:16 AM »
Oh sorry, I misunderstood (not a native english reader) - thought you had sent an email!

mbaas

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2020, 03:11 AM »
Still got no response from Bond Interface (which I really liked, but it stopped running - so I really needed some support), so I went up in the thread and looked at  MaxLauncher. BI has some interesting features like controlling Window-layouts, virtually unlimited shortcuts etc. - but MaxLauncher is a nice & robust tool which does it's job (lauch apps via kbd) very well (and even though it is freeware, support is infinitely better than the commercial BI!). Guess I'll stay with that ;)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2020, 08:19 AM »
Confuzzling and curious:   :tellme:
One wonders whether there is some reason to conclude from this that the purpose of the OP (by @Sorryformyen) might have simply been to advertise MaxLauncher - of which @mbaas says:
Still got no response from Bond Interface (which I really liked, but it stopped running - so I really needed some support), so I went up in the thread and looked at  MaxLauncher. BI has some interesting features like controlling Window-layouts, virtually unlimited shortcuts etc. - but MaxLauncher is a nice & robust tool which does it's job (lauch apps via kbd) very well (and even though it is freeware, support is infinitely better than the commercial BI!). Guess I'll stay with that ;)
I suppose it may have otherwise been coincidental that the discussion seemed to have come full circle in recommending (per a second ID) that which seemed to have apparently been rejected in the OP (by the first ID).

I suppose stranger things have happened at sea.

flamerz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2020, 12:49 PM »
I use elgato stream deck as launcher. It handles some buttons for macros too.

mbaas

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2020, 07:55 AM »
I suppose it may have otherwise been coincidental that the discussion seemed to have come full circle in recommending (per a second ID) that which seemed to have apparently been rejected in the OP (by the first ID).

I guess such things happen. Initially, I was turned away from ML because of the negative comments and also BI seemed to offer far more space for launch-items (and I also liked its approach to just pick running tasks) etc. - but all that is worth nothing when the app refuses to work and support is MIA.

Using the word "advertise" seems to imply some commercial intentions - so maybe it's worth mentioning that ML is freeware...and I have no affiliations with the author. The sole purpose of my post was to possibly help others looking for a useable launcher by providing feedback about my journey (which also involved spending a bit of time on Google...only to finally end up with the initial recommendation...)

Sorryformyen

• Participant
  • Joined in 2019
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2020, 09:02 PM »
I'm really using MaxLauncher in the absence of something like the one suggested in my original post. However, the fact that its keys are fixed makes visual agility and customization limited.

I am grateful for the other suggestions, they are very interesting and arouse some unexpected ideas, but they will certainly be useful for those who have preferences different from mine. I'm following with MaxLauncher now, still encountering some problem with performance, the launcher doesn't appear whenever requested. But this is what is there for now.

I really hope that the developer of the SiteLauncher addon will take a look here or someone who can emulate it on the desktop ... even if it looks like something it shouldn't look like