ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Do good mice still exist? Looking for recommendations.

<< < (9/10) > >>

mouse53:
I have been checking that out since I have a new tower I built with Windows 10 that I hate.  I want to use my win 7 ultimate ,  but it seems my MB , Prime X570, doesn't have the USB drivers.  I want to use it and the Rysen 3600, 32 gig memory, plus ssd drives to play my games and work on the net.  I think the USB is the only thing stopping win 7 from working,  but I will know soon.

Thanks for the information, Shades.

Shades:
Microsoft has patched Windows 7 in such a way that it will not (or perhaps barely) work with Ryzen CPUs anymore.

There might be a chance if you can get your hands on a old Ryzen 1400 CPU, put that on the x570 board, install Windows 7, then swap out the CPU for the Ryzen 3600 and let Windows 7 update itself as much as it can to use as much of the new features/functionalities from the new CPU and x570 chipset.

Was it not a year or 1.5 year ago that Microsoft made the announcement that they would leave Windows 7 in such a state that it would not run anymore with any of the new CPUs from that moment on?

It might even be an idea to use a VM hypervisor to load up a Windows 7 Virtual Machine. If you have to use a hypervisor that runs in an operating system, a Linux distro with only VirtualBox or something should take away very little from the available hardware resources in your system. A VM can be tricked to tell the Windows 7 installer that the Virtual CPU is something else than a Ryzen 3600, so the installer won't act up as it is programmed to do.

Microsoft used to offer their Hyper-V software (to run a virtual machine as close as can be against the actual hardware in your PC) for free. It was when Windows Server 2012 came out, at least. You'll need to create a Windows 7 VM using that software. Not sure if you can trick that kind of hypervisor into thinking there is a different virtual CPU than the actual CPU.

If all of the above sounds like way too much work or too out there...there are many websites that describe ways to make Windows 10 look and feel as Windows 7. Mostly, that is. Here is a link to one such a page (howtogeek.com). Much easier and quicker to do. Use 'O&O ShutUp' to silence most, if not all, Windows telemetry to Microsoft. If that is a concern for you, of course.

Shades:
Found a link with a description of how a guy made Windows 7 work with his Ryzen 3900 CPU (X470). These steps should also apply to you. The link.

Shades:
And, come to think of it, USB ports on the back plate of your computer are usually USB 3.0 or better. Which is an issue for Windows 7 (which to my knowledge doesn't know (by default) how this type of port can be used.

But usually there are one or two USB 2.0 connector headers on a motherboard. Practically always on the bottom of the board, often marked as such. You can connect female USB 2.0 connectors to each of those headers.
Something like this or this.

USB 2.0 is usually fast enough for "polling" a gaming mouse, so that should work.

mouse53:
I have been using Help geek and howtogeek to try and speed win 10 up,  but it is a slug and has many tele programs to Mama Microsoft.I have also used Tom's Hardware for information on getting my new gear to work with 7. My take was that the Motherboard was the hold up,  but it may be the processor too.  I haven't tried Hyper yet,  but will be looking at that tomorrow. My old tower has win 7 , an AMD processor, and  ASRock FM2A85X Extreme6 MB with the UEFI bios ,  so I have some experience playing with that and it is much better than the old Bios set up. I also remember seeing where somebody did get a Rysen 3900 to work with 7,  so there is hope.  Really wouldn't mind Win 10 if it wasn't so buggy and horrible updates.  I only went that way because a few new games won't run on anything but windows 10. I did see the USB 2.0 connectors on the board when I built it,  will need to read up on win 7 having a problem with USB 3.0,  because I was sure I have a couple of 3.0 slots on my old board and haven't had any problems,  plus I have it loaded with hubs so I can run everything.  I now have a lot more to look at,  Thanks for the info Shades,  it is always appreciated

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version