ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Do good mice still exist? Looking for recommendations.

<< < (7/10) > >>

mouser:
On a related note.. For the last weeks I've been having some real frustration with my mouse pointer stuttering on the screen as I move it.. It feels like its the computer being slowed down by something.. Like real laggy stuttering that happens when some cpu intensive app might be running.. OR possible dirt in mouse, etc.

Well, let this be a warning to all of you.  After a couple weeks of frustration I bought a short usb(3) extension cord so I could move my wireless mouse received away from back side of computer and closer to me, and problem 100% solved.

I would have figured this out if the wireless mouse hadn't always worked flawlessly for many years.

So I'm thinking maybe the background transmission interference has probably gone up recently, either from the equipment in my house or in my neighborhood.. Or maybe something else making the transmission less reliable.

Either way, I would highly recommend getting a short usb extension cord so you can move your wireless mouse receiver around a bit, and don't assume just because you can waggle your mouse that the communication is perfect.

ps. It would be nice if the mouse driver for logitech/ms could report when it was having trouble efficiently communicating with the mouse.

Shades:
Bought myself about 6 months ago a brand new Microsoft Wireless keyboard/mouse combo. It uses Bluetooth (v4.1) for communication. While the Bluetooth specs say that a distance of 10 meter is possible, I'm happy if I get 20 to 30 centimeter of reach.

Any more distance and both the mouse and keyboard do very weird things. So I was already painfully aware that it is essential to purchase an USB extension cable for the Bluetooth dongle, solely for the purpose of moving the dongle into a more optimal location.

Same crap for my Bluetooth speaker (which cannot connect through the Microsoft Bluetooth dongle, I needed to purchase a separate dongle for that. And then learn that it didn't come with any drivers for Windows Server editions. Drivers that are available for purchase, only a few 100 USD (nope, not kidding or exaggerating) for the Toshiba drivers. Consumer versions of Windows have at least a generic Bluetooth driver built-in, so I was unpleasantly surprised about the lack of such a driver in Windows Server editions.

My experiences with Bluetooth sure have been quirky, to say the least. Definitely doesn't work as advertised.

mouse53:
I have always used a Opitical wireless trackball mouse, Logitech, and have found that you cannot have anything metal in the direct line of the sender and receiver.  It will start to act erratic and slow,  so I make sure the path is clear and clean any dirt or lint from the ball points.  Make sure you have the latest Set Point drivers and should be good.  I tried Bluetooth mice,  but thought they were to touchy with their signal. I have used the trackball because of an elbow injury that restricts my wrist and arm movement since about 1997.  Hope you find a good solution.  Logitech no longer makes my mouse,  so I have several i bought on eBay on auction since they go for $200--$500 a pop.

highend01:
@oblivion

Do you think you could recommend a Wacom Intuos Art S for desktop usage only (no drawing or any kind of digital art, only navigation, file selection, left and right clicking in browsers, file manager, etc.)?
I would use the pen if necessary but the Art reacts to finger movement as well which would be a big plus for me, although I don't know how easy it would be to e.g. hit a close button of a window with the fingertip when not using the pen...

Thanks!

To all others using a (Logitech) mouse/trackball:
I use a M570 since about 6 years. It's my second one after the first fell apart completely after 4 years. I had the same problem that the left and right micro switches began to fail after a short time (not even a year). I've ordered replacement switches: Omron D2F-01F - 0662RAE

When my first M570 died (the Omron switches were already in since 3 years) I thought: Ok, I still have 6 micro switches left (bought 8 in the first place) and I could just use two of them for the new device but what I finally did was: Solder my first two off of the old device and resolder them back into the new one. The new one was _brand new_ (I had just received it) but before I began to use these M570 trackballs I've had lost a lot of Logitech mices because of the micro switch issues) so I knew it would only be a question of time before the new one would fail as well.
Overall I'm using my first Omron pair since 5 years now and I'm using my trackball about 10-14 hours daily. One can still buy quality parts so I'd say: Go for Omron switches :Thmbsup:

Shades:
One of the children of my boss has one of those Wacom Intuos devices. Not that nice to use with a finger. With the provided pen the user experience improves leaps and bounds. Still, using a pen is different enough too. If you are used to working with a mouse.

Wacom used to have drawing tablets that came with a pen and a mouse (around 2000). The mouse had no optics in it, could be considered a pen, but in the shape of a mouse. Close to a square meter in size, it was a big unit too. Back in those days that was very workable, the graphic designer who needed it back then, she was over the moon with it. Terribly expensive tablet though. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version