ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Do good mice still exist? Looking for recommendations.

<< < (10/10)

mouser:
I am trying the Logitech Mx Master 2 and 3.. Both are good enough.
The back and forward buttons on the Mx Master 2 are much worse than they were in pervious models -- they are tiny and on top of (overlapping even) each other.  The MX Master 3 are much more reasonable.  For that reason alone the MX Master 3 gets my vote by a mile.

The wheel is very strange how once you start rolling it it just goes on forever.. I'm still getting used to it, but I could take it or leave it.

If the battery life holds up I'll be satisfied.

Shades:
Off-topic and sorry for the hi-jack:
From the comments I saw on multiple forums, the X570 chipset is more problematic to get working with Windows 7. Chipsets X370 and X470 are more compatible. That leads to me to think that some of the hardware features in the X570 chipset make Windows 7 trip up in a very bad way. Getting around that might prove to be more effort than it is worth.

Windows does make use of hardware features built into the CPU and chipset that it included on the motherboard. And what whatever hardware feature Windows doesn't recognize immediately, generic drivers will be tried first, before such a feature is being ignored. You could compare it to a blanket made out of little patches of fabric.

Miss too many of those fabric patches and you won't get much use out of the blanket. It is no different for Windows. The last workaround would be to make the jump to Linux, if Windows 10 is not your thing. There are now good ways to run Windows games on Linux, almost without a hitch. Linux Mint appears to be an easy to use Linux distribution. Myself, a year or so ago, I bought a second hand laptop. Was a Windows 8 laptop when purchased and Microsoft bothered the owner long enough that she upgraded to Windows 10. After that, she asked me to take a look at it, because it was very slow. There were also battery issues, which made the screen flicker (because it was continuously confused about being connected to a wall and using battery power.

Fixed the battery issue (and the flickering), but the slowness was caused by a shitty hard disk. The rest was more than OK, 14 inch touchscreen, 1920x1080 resolution, 2-in-1 model, excellent audio (with headphone). So jokingly I offered to buy the laptop from her, without the hard disk and to my surprise she agreed on the sale. Put in a SSD I had laying around and re-installed Windows 10 from scratch. A difference of night and day. That is, for 30 minutes or so. After that, it became slow. Guessed Windows 10 was updating itself again, so waited it out. Alas, the first 30 minutes after a reboot, it all worked fine, but after that, dog slow. ANd suddenly I got a lot of issues with getting the laptop into and out of sleep modes too.

After a while I got so fed up with this, I tried a live edition from 'Pop!_OS' on the laptop. A Linux distribution that was praised on a Youtube channel I subscribed to. Not only worked all the hardware in that laptop right out of the box, the default software that came with Linux worked very well for my purposes too. Could open much more software at once than when it was still running Windows. Getting it to sleep and wake up worked without a glitch and the tricks I had to pull to make the battery behave better in Windows 10, the battery had no issue at all when using Linux. The contrast between operating systems could not have been bigger.

To my surprise as well, the transition between Windows 10 and Pop!_OS is not nearly as big as you might think. Ran Linux from a pendrive for a day like that without any issue or feeling too hampered by the differences in workflow of the operating systems. The next day, I installed Linux for real on that laptop and I can tell you that it will never run Windows 10 again (for as long as I own it). Caveat, I am used to work with Linux servers, but all my servers have no GUI in any shape or form. Pop!_OS is a 'GUI first (Gnome), terminal later'-kind of Linux.

mouse53:
I too apologize, mouser, for the hijack.  I am so glad I clicked on this when I saw it in my email. I am ready to try Linux,  have always wanted to and now I believe this is the best opportunity to do that since I have 2 towers going.  I will check out what you have said on Pop!_OS,  has to be better than this awful, slow windows 10.  I will have to let you know how it goes. Thanks again Shader
I did originally answered because I use a trackball mouse since I had an elbow injury and the College I was attending while in rehab gave me a Windows Explorer Trackball mouse to use so I could get more work done on a computer.  A regular mouse just kills my wrist and arm after a short bit. I have tried so many different types and brands,  but none work as well for me as The Logitech.  They do not make them anymore because of a copyright problem someone squawked about. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version