ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Connector SAS

(1/2) > >>

Contro:
I am willing to buy another hard drive disk.

One is a NVMe m.2 ssd of 1 TB and the other a mechanical HDD up from 6 TB.

I have a motherboard Asus Z-170K .
I don't know if have SAS connector.
I assume that the conector are SATA type. SATA3

Do you know if I can connect a SAS hard drive ?

Best Regards

Ath:
Though SAS and SATA connections are quite alike, they aren't interchangeable. SAS drives are mostly used in servers and are usually much too expensive to be used in desktop systems.

OTOH, if you already own a SAS drive you can buy a PCI interface for your desktop system to connect that drive. Speed is usually similar to SATA, when used in a desktop system.

4wd:
On the other hand, SATA drives can be connected to SAS controllers with a cheap cable adaptor.

But anyway that motherboard doesn't have a SAS controller or ports.

https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/Z170-K/specifications/

So just get boring old SATA drives to keep it simple.

Contro:
Though SAS and SATA connections are quite alike, they aren't interchangeable. SAS drives are mostly used in servers and are usually much too expensive to be used in desktop systems.

OTOH, if you already own a SAS drive you can buy a PCI interface for your desktop system to connect that drive. Speed is usually similar to SATA, when used in a desktop system.
-Ath (January 29, 2020, 01:04 AM)
--- End quote ---
SCSI and SAS are expensive, but in ebay and others offers cheaper than sata 3 drives........
A SAS 6 TB drive for the same price of a SATA 3 one....  :-* :P

Contro:
On the other hand, SATA drives can be connected to SAS controllers with a cheap cable adaptor.

But anyway that motherboard doesn't have a SAS controller or ports.

https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/Z170-K/specifications/

So just get boring old SATA drives to keep it simple.
-4wd (January 29, 2020, 02:28 AM)
--- End quote ---
Good to know.

Then I can't have it.

Best Regards.

Additional comment :

1 x M.2 Socket 3, , with M key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (both SATA & PCIE mode)

Can I connect a Crucial P1 CT1000P1SSD8 - Disco Duro sólido Interno SSD de 1 TB (3D NAND, NVMe, PCIe, M.2)   ?

:-*

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version