topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 1:05 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Google Home Mini - Is yours as useless as mine?  (Read 4920 times)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Google Home Mini - Is yours as useless as mine?
« on: January 27, 2020, 10:23 PM »
Okay, it's not really mine, but someone I know recently got a Google Home Mini and at first it worked fine. Then a day or two later it started refusing to do anything, saying something to the effect of "Sorry, I can't play music while content filters are enabled."

The owner and I both looked through the Google Home settings and saw that no content filters were enabled. We managed to get it working again by actually setting up the content filters and setting them to "can play anything." Then a few days later, it started refusing to do anything again, giving the same excuse about content filters. Somehow we got it working again, maybe by disabling the content filters, but once again only for a couple of days and now it's refusing to do anything again, saying that content filters are enabled and preventing it from playing music.

I'm exaggerating a little. When I say it is refusing to do anything, it probably would still answer questions asked of it. But it refuses to play music, and that's the primary reason it was obtained (it came free with a Spotify subscription).

I've tried searching for a solution, but the only results I seem to get are help pages telling me how to enable content filters. We don't want content filters or restrictions of any kind. We just want music! My search results are not showing any forum posts by others experiencing similar issues and troubleshooting steps to resolve the issue.

So how do we get the thing to realize that there are no content filters enabled, and just play music when people ask it to?

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Google Home Mini - Is yours as useless as mine?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2020, 01:19 AM »
Is that someone perhaps in the preview program from Google?

Just reading on a Dutch tech news website that people with a Google Home device are experiencing problems with their devices, if they are in the preview program.

anandcoral

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Free Portable Apps
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 04:11 AM »
But it refuses to play music, and that's the primary reason it was obtained
O My GOD !
It is already happening !!
Machine are turning intelligent !!!

No I do not know the solution, but may be slap on the head will tell it who is the Boss.  :P

Regards,

Anand

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2020, 07:45 AM »
No I do not know the solution, but may be slap on the head will tell it who is the Boss.
No luck. I slapped my head but it had no effect on the Mini.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 09:33 AM »
So how do we get the thing to realize that there are no content filters enabled, and just play music when people ask it to?

When you say that you disabled them in Google Home- are they getting enabled there?  Or each time, you're enabling and disabling them?

Perhaps it's defective?  I have a lot of them and haven't ever had this problem.  Then again, I use Google Play Music.  I know that Google Play Music (Youtube Music now?) has a trial plan- you might try to just experiment with that, and see if it's that Google is having problems with Spotify? 

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2020, 02:01 PM »
Is that someone perhaps in the preview program from Google?

Just reading on a Dutch tech news website that people with a Google Home device are experiencing problems with their devices, if they are in the preview program.

I don't think so. I'm not aware of any preview program. Maybe that's a regional thing?

When you say that you disabled them in Google Home- are they getting enabled there?  Or each time, you're enabling and disabling them?

I'm not sure what the settings are at currently. When it stops working and the content filters are disabled, we go in and enable them (to be as permissive as possible). When it stops working again and they are enabled, we go in and disable them. Sometimes the changes help. Sometimes they don't. So there's a lot of turning them off and on and off and on again until finally it starts working, only to repeat the process a couple days later when it breaks.

But yes, these settings are being changed from within the Google Home app on Android.

O My GOD !
It is already happening !!
Machine are turning intelligent !!!

"I'm sorry, Deozaan. I can't do that right now."

Though I wouldn't exactly classify this behavior from the device as intelligent. ;)

Speaking of which. . .

No I do not know the solution, but may be slap on the head will tell it who is the Boss.
No luck. I slapped my head but it had no effect on the Mini.
-cranioscopical (January 28, 2020, 07:45 AM)

Maybe you just didn't try hard enough, or enough times. Don't give up now! Give it everything you've got!

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2020, 07:51 PM »
Maybe you just didn't try hard enough, or enough times. Don't give up now! Give it everything you've got!

You were right, exerting mighty force at least produced the sound of bells; my ears are ringing.

anandcoral

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Free Portable Apps
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2020, 03:57 AM »

You were right, exerting mighty force at least produced the sound of bells; my ears are ringing.
-cranioscopical (January 28, 2020, 07:51 PM)
:Thmbsup: :D