ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Clipboard Help+Spell

Possible suggestion -- variables in clips

<< < (2/2)

mouser:
I like the idea of a paste with the program asking for variable to replace before pasting.. It wouldn't be very hard to add.. The real question is whether it would be smarter to write it as a built-in function or whether it would be better to have a way for CHS to be told about a standalone exe it should invoke to paste certain formatted clips, and let the 3rd party tool do the prompt for variables followed by replacement and paste..

oblivion:
I like the idea of a paste with the program asking for variable to replace before pasting.. It wouldn't be very hard to add.. The real question is whether it would be smarter to write it as a built-in function or whether it would be better to have a way for CHS to be told about a standalone exe it should invoke to paste certain formatted clips, and let the 3rd party tool do the prompt for variables followed by replacement and paste..
-mouser (January 15, 2020, 02:38 AM)
--- End quote ---
Playing with the existing functionality here, I've built myself a working (if slightly clunky) solution and I think maybe what's there could be refined just slightly.

The %customdate% variable and a template is the route I took: effectively pasting a predefined string followed by the %customdate% variable, where I've defined customdate to take the format I want. It's okay but only if I only download one podcast from that series on any given day, in its current form... and, of course, I have to invoke it by shift-clicking on an entry and picking it from a menu.

The alternative approach that I couldn't make work was using the modify format/case functionality -- there's an option to add a date at either the top or bottom but not without including a line break.

But I still like the idea of a prompt for a variable that might populate a named variable like customdate, and I also wonder if a counter variable similar to the one you use for filenames in ScreenshotCaptor might be a useful thing for filenames too. It feels to me like a standalone exe to be called might be overkill, but I'm not the programmer here, just someone who treats the clipboard like his personal slave :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version