ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Legally Buy & Download Music Easily - Is it even possible any more?

<< < (4/6) > >>

KynloStephen66515:
Curious if you ever found somewhere to get your music from xD

tomos:
Curious if you ever found somewhere to get your music from xD
-Stephen66515 (January 20, 2020, 03:20 PM)
--- End quote ---
no,
I think this thread was my last gasp.
The site you suggested is pretty clearly illegally selling music. If you buy there you're not illegally downloading, but that's not what I want either. Years ago, I decided there's enough free goodies (and affordable alternatives) on the internet to not have to download illegal software. I feel the same way about music. Also, I like the physicality of a CD (sure, records were better), I like the limitation of CD's, especially with driving, surrounded by the music, I'll listen to an album again and again. Either I'm lucky or I've chosen carefully, but most of the albums I've bought in the last year I've listened to again and again and again. Auto-replay or whatever they call it.

As said, I know I'm going to have to move to digital at some stage -- well, it's starting already, but without any good resolution to this thread, I'll hold out another while ;-)

4wd:
I mentioned it back here but you didn't reference it specifically.

So I'll mention it again, AFAIAA iTunes, (not Apple Music - the streaming service), allows you to purchase albums/individual tracks that you can download and are DRM free - downside being you have to use ITunes software (or whatever they call it now) on your PC to purchase/download like Amazon.

Some internet search results, some you may already know about but doesn't hurt to mention them.
Jamendo - Independent artists - Generally free streaming, free download (MP3), purchase a licence for commercial use (HQ audio file).
Bleep - Independent artists - Physical and digital music for purchase (320kbps MP3 | 16bit LL WAV/FLAC).
CDBaby - Independent artists - Digital music for purchase (all 320kbps MP3).

Other sources that are DRM free:
Games (Steam, GOG, etc) - I have a few games that included OST albums as part of the game or DLCs, (eg. S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl).
Bundle sites (Humble Bundle, Groupees, etc) - I've purchased bundles of a variety of different music genres whether they were something I was interested in or part of a humanitarian type deal, (eg. 2017 Mexican earthquake, Cryo Chamber bundle).
Archive.org - Music (mixed bag, browse the categories), Concerts.
FreeMusicArchive - Free and Royalty Free music, recently acquired by Tribe of Noise.
FreeGal - Offered by some library services, (here in Australia at least), allows MP3 downloads and transfer to other devices, also streaming apps for your phone, (Android, iOS). Essentially free as long as you have library membership.

NOTE: The only ones I've used are Steam, GOG, Groupees, and Archive.org - no personal endorsement of any of them ... but I have just noticed a couple more bundles on Groupees that look interesting ... oh well, down goes the PayPal balance ...

Deozaan:
I don't know if this is the case outside of the USA, but buying a CD from Amazon is a pretty good choice. You get the CD which you can rip FLAC files from if you'd like, but you also get immediate access to the album digitally in the form of MP3 files while you wait for your CD to arrive.

tomos:
I mentioned it back here but you didn't reference it specifically.

So I'll mention it again, AFAIAA iTunes, (not Apple Music - the streaming service), allows you to purchase albums/individual tracks that you can download and are DRM free - downside being you have to use ITunes software (or whatever they call it now) on your PC to purchase/download like Amazon.
-4wd (January 20, 2020, 09:40 PM)
--- End quote ---
yeah (sorry didnt get back to you on that 4wd) --
I'm presuming this is similar to the amazon model. I know that itunes formerly saved all files with unrecognisable names and tried to make it as difficult as possible to export. I'm presuming they havent gotten much better that way, in spite of now having drm free music. Amazon has a similar model [on android] -- I will live with it (rather than risk installing itunes) and just have to figure out a workflow for getting those files where I want them (accessible to other apps on android) and stick with it. As said above, it was doable, they do make it difficult on android, so may do it on pc and transfer -- doing that isn't the problem -- I was (1) just hoping there would be a more user friendly version (2) wanting to express my dissatisfaction by buying elsewhere.
(PS deozaan I think this answers your question as well)

Those other links are good 4wd. I familiar with some:
I have bought from bandcamp and cdbaby, most of the music I want to buy though is older and (or) simply not available there.
I have gotten some great finds on archive.org -- some concerts from the seventies; gigabytes of older traditional irish music. (On a side note I tend to get overwhelmed when I get so much music at one time -- then the ideal way of listening is probably shuffle or similar rather than the album model.)

Thanks all for the suggestions :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version