ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > DC Website Help and Extras

Handling spam on forum

(1/3) > >>

AzureToad:
I hate to say it, but I still feel that we should employ a system like myspace does with their groups, new members have to be members a full week before being allowed to post ANYTHING.  This ensures they are serious about the forum and keeps out most spammers, also gets them well acquainted with the rules and procedures before they can break them....
-MichaelLal (August 14, 2019, 11:30 AM)
--- End quote ---
Only problem is that it hampers legitimate new users from requesting help for their issue.
     "I need help, and I need it NOW!"

:)
Perhaps an approval from a moderator might work? there'd be some back-and-forth interaction to ensure the poster was valid?

(Also, i'm kind of surprised we're adding this to an ancient thread ?)

wraith808:
Spammer?  Posing as someone concerned with spam?  Shows the hallmarks of that being the case.

BGM:
It is kind of strange - a poster with just one post saying that there ought to be more control over posting!  haha!  He registered on August 5, and is posting today, the 14th.  Maybe he saw a bunch of spam.  I receive the rss feed for new posts and there IS a lot of spam.  Maybe MichaelLal's idea isn't so bad?

KynloStephen66515:
It is kind of strange - a poster with just one post saying that there ought to be more control over posting!  haha!  He registered on August 5, and is posting today, the 14th.  Maybe he saw a bunch of spam.  I receive the rss feed for new posts and there IS a lot of spam.  Maybe MichaelLal's idea isn't so bad?
-BGM (August 14, 2019, 01:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

To be fair, we catch most spam within a few minutes of it being posted and it gets zapped.

The issue really is that a lot of spammers register then keep the account dormant for months before using it to go crazy with.

Deozaan:
Spammer?  Posing as someone concerned with spam?  Shows the hallmarks of that being the case.
-wraith808 (August 14, 2019, 01:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

Agreed. Looks like a bot or spammer to me.

Not only is the post reviving an old thread, but it's not even on topic for this thread. Also, it is written as if this person has voiced their opinion on the subject in the past ("I still feel..."), yet it's their first post.

And yeah, also interesting that they propose new members have to wait a week before posting anything when that's exactly what they did, as if to lend legitimacy to their own account.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version