ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Sagelight Image Editor v4 returns as Pay-What-You-Want

<< < (4/4)

gjdgjd:
Did a bit of Googling and this seems to be "a known thing". It goes as follows:-
The free version crashes if you open any non-RAW file (JPG, TIF etc) (if your's doesn't then you are a lucky person).
Thus "Quick Edit Mode" is a non-runner.
However.....
If you open a RAW file (I used Panasonic RW2 but it works for any RAW image I think) then you default to "Pro Quick Edit Mode" - which is stable.
From "Pro Quick Edit Mode" you can then open JPG, TIF whatever and it works - bizarre or what!
There is no known way of starting in a defined mode (to shortcut this faffing about - if there are any command line switches I'd like to know) and no way of switching modes once you reach the "Pro Quick Edit Mode" by this route.
Looks like I am now a Professional by default.
For freeware it's good enough but you would not want to pay for it - I am not exactly relying on this to make a living - it is fun only.
I think the bottom line is that this is "amateur/hobby level" software and if you commit to it more than that on the basis of any future development you are at risk down the road.
I have a secure use of it in "Pro Quick Edit Mode" - all I need.
On the subject of clean installs - I think you make a valid point. If you have a clean Windows system and install the free version I suspect you are fine but like most people I tried to install the activated version first - that fails to activate (no server available anymore). I don't know how the activation worked but possibly a hidden encrypted file is placed somewhere and that this file is not removed by the uninstall (which I have tried). Maybe the free version does not like finding this? I have a couple of machines that have never seen any version of Sagelight - I may try the free version on one of these to see what happens - but I have spent far too long on this already!

Dormouse:
Back in the day, when I used it, there were a few nice features not as easily available in other software - but I used other programs more of the time. Always masses of potential, but never realised. Last I remember, he was talking about optimising it for use with photos from phones.

This time, I just opened a jpg and went straight for Pro functions.

Dormouse:
Well Rob is back again, so ought to be able to respond to issues. I think he's contemplating best way of taking Sagelight forward.
He also has a 'new' product Sagebox, which seems to be a programmers tool that he developed for his wider consulting work.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version