ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

laptop temperature fluctuations

<< < (2/4) > >>

IainB:
@holt:
Did you also consider cleaning your laptop internally? Cruft and dust accumulates very quick in laptops in my experience. Especially when they are mostly used in carpeted areas or way worse, in bed. Such cruft prevents heat to escape out of your laptop and shortens it life span.
-Shades (December 13, 2019, 10:52 AM)
--- End quote ---
@Shades gives good advice.

Thought these notes might be of some use: Laptop overheating or noisy fan - Cleaning the cooling system.

holt:
@holt:
Did you also consider cleaning your laptop internally? Cruft and dust accumulates very quick in laptops in my experience. Especially when they are mostly used in carpeted areas or way worse, in bed. Such cruft prevents heat to escape out of your laptop and shortens it life span.
-Shades (December 13, 2019, 10:52 AM)
--- End quote ---
@Shades gives good advice.

Thought these notes might be of some use: Laptop overheating or noisy fan - Cleaning the cooling system.
-IainB (December 14, 2019, 09:08 AM)
--- End quote ---
My entire laptop feels unusually warm; I installed SpeedFan; it shows a red/yellow flame icon and 127C for 'Temp 2' (not sure what that is).
I shut down for half an hour and rebooted; feels much cooler; Temp 2 -ACPI ISA bus?- fluctuates between 127C and 35C; just instantly over and over. Chart readout shows spiking and square-waving between the two extremes; but laptop feels 'normal' (barely above room temp).

Edit: I skimmed IainB's most xlnt post Laptop overheating or noisy fan - Cleaning the cooling system.
I can't do all that, but I have in times past dust-cleaned the turbo fan on a video card before, a simple R&R job of pulling the cover plate. My HP laptop is only 10 or 12 months old. If it survives long enough for me to review how to pull backing plate & battery, maybe I can fix my laptop.

Shades:
Speedfan is good software to keep track of temperatures in your computer. But not all computers are created equally, so Speedfan needs a database to keep track of hardware combinations and how it needs to read/apply temperature read-outs generated by these hardware combinations.

The author of Speedfan does his/her best to keep that database as relevant as he/she can, but it is near impossible to account for every hardware combination. Hence you get your weird read-outs. All authors of similar software have this problem, not just Speedfan. If Windows 10 has software like this build in, it is also plagued by the same problem. Keeping this type of software as up-to-date as you can, is the best thing to do.

Speedfan is capable of keeping track of temperatures from different devices in your computer. Even each separate core of your processor. Yet, these are not always configured by the laptop manufacturer in the same order, hence you'll see 'Temp 2', while you were likely to expect 'Temp' or 'Temp 1'. Whether that is a problem of the manufacturer or the interpretation of Speedfan...

If I remember correctly, Speedfan comes with reporting functionality, so it is possible to send them the information of your hardware combination and the author can then decide if/when support for your specific hardware combo will be included into a newer version of Speedfan.

holt:
When I minimize SpeedFan, it totally vanishes and I cannot find its active icon on Desktop or anywhere although I know it is still there and did not actually close. I really need to figure out how to get the active instance of it back on-screen on Desktop, instead of starting a 2nd copy.

Edit: I will try the vacuum cleaner to air intake port, as per IainB's ^'overheating or noisy fan' post.

tomos:
Edit: I will try the vacuum cleaner to air intake port, as per IainB's ^'overheating or noisy fan' post.
-holt (December 15, 2019, 03:06 AM)
--- End quote ---
Note Shades's comments in related thread re static and being careful not to force fan blades to turn the wrong way.
I have used vacuum cleaner inside a desktop computer: I worked barefoot and half covered the nozzle with my fingers to minimise chances of static building up.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version