ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

laptop temperature fluctuations

(1/4) > >>

holt:
My dual-core HP laptop with Win 10 and 8 gb ram is about half a year old. Usually it runs lukewarm but sometimes it gets quite warm for no discernible reason; could that maybe be Norton running in the background?
Could I safely run VLC with two separate long-play videos at the same time for extended time periods without overheating it?

Shades:
A laptop with a Dual Core processor in it is more than likely (much) older than 6 months.

Playing 2 videos at once is taxing, especially when these are compressed. And gets much more taxing when those videos are 1080p or higher. And usually the difference between 1080p and 720p on a laptop screen is barely noticeable.  Especially for a set of slightly less young eyes.

If possible, try to get both videos on your system and use software to separate what you want from both videos and combine these parts into a new video. That is less taxing for your laptop in the long run.

Did you also consider cleaning your laptop internally? Cruft and dust accumulates very quick in laptops in my experience. Especially when they are mostly used in carpeted areas or way worse, in bed. Such cruft prevents heat to escape out of your laptop and shortens it life span.

holt:
A laptop with a Dual Core processor in it is more than likely (much) older than 6 months.

Playing 2 videos at once is taxing, especially when these are compressed. And gets much more taxing when those videos are 1080p or higher. And usually the difference between 1080p and 720p on a laptop screen is barely noticeable.  Especially for a set of slightly less young eyes.

If possible, try to get both videos on your system and use software to separate what you want from both videos and combine these parts into a new video. That is less taxing for your laptop in the long run.

Did you also consider cleaning your laptop internally? Cruft and dust accumulates very quick in laptops in my experience. Especially when they are mostly used in carpeted areas or way worse, in bed. Such cruft prevents heat to escape out of your laptop and shortens it life span.
-Shades (December 13, 2019, 10:52 AM)
--- End quote ---
They're all 480p or less, but I get your meaning. I'll avoid doing two at a time. 

How do you clean internally?

tomos:
How do you clean internally?
-holt (December 13, 2019, 11:06 AM)
--- End quote ---
I have a dual core laptop -- it's a few years old.
Just this week I installed extra memory for it (upgraded from 8 to 16) -- bought a set of screwdrivers suitable for that kind of thing, and found a youtube video showing how to do the deed and went and did it.
Worked fine, I was surprised how little dust there was in it, but one of the intakes *was* clogged. There was another protective layer -- for the CPU etc -- underneath the back cover. I didnt bother taking that off (but what I could see under it looked fine...)

It now uses less memory than it did before (that stumped me) but more importantly, it has enough memory for me to e.g. play/stream a couple of videos simultaneously (note the CPU is an i5-5300U). The fan kicks in a lot less so the machine is definitely cooler, less stressed.

tomos:
Usually it runs lukewarm but sometimes it gets quite warm for no discernible reason; could that maybe be Norton running in the background?
-holt (December 13, 2019, 09:50 AM)
--- End quote ---
you can check the Task Manager or get something like Process Explorer (I use the portable version).
See screenshot, it will show the biggest user in tooltip, but while the CPU or memory is actually being hogged, you can sort by either of those columns and see which are the biggest users

laptop temperature fluctuations

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version