ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Image Manager Shootout

Xnview vs. Irfan View

<< < (3/5) > >>

zridling:
Oddly, I've always put IrfanView in the Image Editor class, whereas I put XnView in the Image Viewer class — at least that's how I've used (or underused) them. One of IrfanView's best features is its Contact Sheet creation abilities. One of XnView's best features is its efficient file management.

rjbull:
> One of my longstanding real pet peeves with irfanview is its
> absolute insistence on Save As starting in the last directory
> you saved into, rather that the current directory holding the
> picture. 

Have you looked at Cottonwood Software's  payware, File-Ex?
http://www.cottonwoodsw.com/welcome.html

I've only briefly looked at it.  Here's their blurb;

"File-Ex saves valuable time and mouse clicks...

- Automatically enhances almost all Windows applications, saving you valuable time.

- Larger file window reduces scrolling clicks by up to 90%.

- Re-opens the last folder used so you don't have to hunt for it each time you open a file.

- Default to the sorting you like, and have it remember the column widths in details view.

- Remembers 100 recent and favorite folders / files, reducing clicks to the file you need.

- Create and open a new folders with fewer steps -- opens to the new folder automatically.

- Built-in Find tool searches all of your hard drives for files. "

I wish it automatically put the cursor on the last file you used, but they've had more than one request for that so maybe it will come.

mouser:
hi rj-

we've been having a running discussion of the file open/save dialog box extenders.
see this post: https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=506.0

in fact we are going to do a review of them very soon.

sounds like you are one of us who couldn't live without such a tool :)

Carol Haynes:
Don't forget IrfanView can be integrated into Windows Explorer Shell too.

This may have been mentioned but if it has I missed it.

For details see: http://www.baxbex.com/products.html

The tool is at the bottom of the page.

The other tool I use is ShellPicture (also on BaxBex website). The review mentioned this and asked does anyone pay for it? Well, er, yes I did. I find it extremely useful and the printing facilities (though not totally extensive) are quite handy as are the instant format conversion from windows explorer. See screen shots below.

lanux128:
One of my longstanding real pet peeves with irfanview is its absolute insistence on Save As starting in the last directory you saved into, rather that the current directory holding the picture.  i almost always want to save as in the directory the original image came from.  I've taken to patching my irfanview exe to block this but it is surely annoying.-mouser (July 06, 2005, 06:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

hi there mouser,

sorry to revive this old thread, but i'm interested to know about the patching you did with irfanview because the same 'feature' causes me much problems. maybe you can explain how to do it?

thanks in advance
best regards,
lanux

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version