topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 12:20 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Can anyone show me proper Donald Knuth TeX samples?  (Read 3400 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Can anyone show me proper Donald Knuth TeX samples?
« on: June 16, 2011, 04:31 PM »
In my search for the perfect math typography (for print), I learned that Donald Knuth is the master of it all.  He created the Computer Modern font, which is used in all those TeX programs the academics love.  I like it also, and I want to change all the math fonts in my books to the Computer Modern font.

So that's easy, I have the font installed.  Now, I'm looking for good examples of the typography details: spacing between elements, sub and superscript relative sizes, what should and shouldn't be italicized, etc.

Of course, finding examples is hard.  All anyone wants to do online is talk talk talk talk, describe...but nary a sample.  I don't care about any of that.  I literally just want to see samples of Donald Knuth approved spacing.  What I'd love to find is just a page full of images showing all sorts of math symbols, equations, matrices...just every example possible, and I can tweak my programs to mimic that typography.

Any help is appreciated.  40hz??  I'm betting you probably have something already in mind in your knowledge suppository.  :D

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Can anyone show me proper Donald Knuth TeX samples?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 10:52 PM »

Of course, finding examples is hard.  All anyone wants to do online is talk talk talk talk, describe...but nary a sample.  I don't care about any of that.  I literally just want to see samples of Donald Knuth approved spacing.  What I'd love to find is just a page full of images showing all sorts of math symbols, equations, matrices...just every example possible, and I can tweak my programs to mimic that typography.

Any help is appreciated.  40hz??  I'm betting you probably have something already in mind in your knowledge suppository.  :D

Best source is "The TexBook" by Knuth himself.
Meanwhile, I suggest you download this .pdf and browse through it. Here it is.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 11:05 PM by cranioscopical, Reason: Despite URL appearing in the message, it didn\'t appear in what was posted »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Can anyone show me proper Donald Knuth TeX samples?
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 02:02 AM »

Of course, finding examples is hard.  All anyone wants to do online is talk talk talk talk, describe...but nary a sample.  I don't care about any of that.  I literally just want to see samples of Donald Knuth approved spacing.  What I'd love to find is just a page full of images showing all sorts of math symbols, equations, matrices...just every example possible, and I can tweak my programs to mimic that typography.

Any help is appreciated.  40hz??  I'm betting you probably have something already in mind in your knowledge suppository.  :D

Best source is "The TexBook" by Knuth himself.
Meanwhile, I suggest you download this .pdf and browse through it. Here it is.
-cranioscopical (June 16, 2011, 10:52 PM)
YES!!  Thanks cranio, that is better than I could have imagined.
 :greenclp: