topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:18 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Paint Shop Pro 7  (Read 21503 times)

holt

• Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Paint Shop Pro 7
« on: November 29, 2019, 02:11 AM »
I always 'got along well' with Paint Shop Pro 7, and once I learned its basics, I did wonders with it (IMHO). Now, I 'wonder'; will it work with Windows 10 64-bit?

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Paint Shop Pro 7
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2019, 03:18 AM »
This is one for a simple Internet search, or
try it and see (there are different compatibility modes that might help it work).
Tom

ConstanceJill

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2019, 07:51 AM »
If that's any indication, my mom uses version 4.14 on Windows 10 x64 almost without issues: sometimes it doesn't want to start any more but then I only have to delete its settings from the registry ("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JASC\Paint Shop Pro", might be different in newer versions as I don't remember when it was bought by Corel)

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2020, 08:34 PM »
I have run it on 5 computers with Win10, so Paintshop Pro 7 will work, but there are a few quirks with it...

You could optionally choose to run it in compatibility mode, but that will only fix one issue, and introduce another. I choose not to run it in compatibility mode, as it prevents one from being able to make screenshots of the program UI.

First, you will see an error message that looks something like this, each time you run it. It happens once or twice, as soon as the program launches. Just dismiss them and proceed on to using the app. This has been an issue with PSP7, since WinXP. You might also see one when you try to close it. Same thing...ignore and close the messages. Running it in compatibility mode will get rid of the error messages, but you'll still have to click away a prompt to allow changes to your computer, every time you run it. So, all you'd be doing is trading one type of message to click away, for another.

Screenshot - 1_9_2020 , 8_35_55 PM.png

The 2nd, more annoying quirk relates to the small pop-up windows for tool options, layer palette, overview, etc. Win10 won't show you the rollup buttons that should be on them, but they are still there, invisible. so you have to click next to the close (X) button to lock open or rollup, as shown on this screenshot.

Screenshot - 1_9_2020 , 9_25_41 PM.pngPaint Shop Pro 7

Otherwise, I'd recommend setting automatic rollup in preferences:

Screenshot - 1_9_2020 , 8_41_41 PM.png

The 3rd, most annoying quirk is related to 3rd party filters and plugins. Some of them that used to work well under other versions of Windows, will not work on Win10, and there's nothing you can do about it, since all of them are no longer supported by their developers, and rarely would they ever offer any help to Paintshop Pro users even when they did support them, as they were written for use with old, outdated versions of Photoshop, not Paintshop Pro.

Other than that, it works perfectly fine and is still my favorite image editor.  :-*

holt

• Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2020, 02:44 AM »
I have run it on 5 computers with Win10, so Paintshop Pro 7 will work, but there are a few quirks with it...

You could optionally choose to run it in compatibility mode, but that will only fix one issue, and introduce another. I choose not to run it in compatibility mode, as it prevents one from being able to make screenshots of the program UI.

First, you will see an error message that looks something like this, each time you run it. It happens once or twice, as soon as the program launches. Just dismiss them and proceed on to using the app. This has been an issue with PSP7, since WinXP. You might also see one when you try to close it. Same thing...ignore and close the messages. Running it in compatibility mode will get rid of the error messages, but you'll still have to click away a prompt to allow changes to your computer, every time you run it. So, all you'd be doing is trading one type of message to click away, for another.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

The 2nd, more annoying quirk relates to the small pop-up windows for tool options, layer palette, overview, etc. Win10 won't show you the rollup buttons that should be on them, but they are still there, invisible. so you have to click next to the close (X) button to lock open or rollup, as shown on this screenshot.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Otherwise, I'd recommend setting automatic rollup in preferences:

[ Invalid Attachment ]

The 3rd, most annoying quirk is related to 3rd party filters and plugins. Some of them that used to work well under other versions of Windows, will not work on Win10, and there's nothing you can do about it, since all of them are no longer supported by their developers, and rarely would they ever offer any help to Paintshop Pro users even when they did support them, as they were written for use with old, outdated versions of Photoshop, not Paintshop Pro.

Other than that, it works perfectly fine and is still my favorite image editor.  :-*
Thanks, app103!  :Thmbsup: Any idea what's a safe place to download it from?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 03:40 AM by holt »

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2020, 06:26 PM »
Thanks, app103!  :Thmbsup: Any idea what's a safe place to download it from?

archive.org  has an ISO for it. But I think it might be corrupted.  :(

They also have one for v9 too. And I know that one works.

Both downloads are part of their Vintage Software and CD-ROM Software collections.

To install, download and then double click the ISO file to simultaneously mount it and open it. Then run the PSP9\Paint Shop Pro 9\Jasc Paint Shop Pro 9.msi file. That's the real setup file. (If you get asked for a CD key, you clicked the wrong file) Once you are finished installing, go to This PC in Explorer, right click what looks like a brand new drive with a PSP9 CD in it, and select "eject" to make it go away.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2020, 09:11 PM »

PSP 7 ISO downloaded, mounted (DaemonTools), and installed fine on Win10 x64 Pro.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 09:40 PM by 4wd »

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2020, 10:04 PM »

PSP 7 ISO downloaded, mounted (DaemonTools), and installed fine on Win10 x64 Pro.

Good to know!  I'll make a note of that, in case I refer anyone else there. :Thmbsup:

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2020, 03:12 AM »
I have disc images of PSP 8 and PSP X from when I owned and used it years ago. But I ripped them into MDF format because I was using Alcohol 120% as my disc ripper/burner back in those days.

If anyone would find those disc images useful, I can provide them, though I suspect they won't be of much use to anyone else without valid serial keys to go with them.

As an aside, if anyone can recommend a good/trustworthy MDF -> ISO converter, it would be nice to get some of those older disc images I have into a more ubiquitous format.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2020, 03:52 AM »
As an aside, if anyone can recommend a good/trustworthy MDF -> ISO converter, it would be nice to get some of those older disc images I have into a more ubiquitous format.

MDF to ISO - worked for me, might depend on what info was included into the MDF to start with.

No need to install it, the installer can be extracted, (use UniExtract), and the executable directly run.

Otherwise there's the ad-supported free version of DaemonTools Lite.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2020, 08:29 AM »
You could also mount these images and then use 'Folder2ISO' to create ISO files. Don't let the look from that page fool you, it is useful software if you are creating ISO files from any folder on your computer.

holt

• Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2020, 01:45 PM »
I successfully downloaded and installed PSP9. It looks like a beautiful install. Many thanks, everyone!  :Thmbsup: 
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 11:59 PM by holt »

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2020, 12:07 AM »
Many thanks!  :Thmbsup:  I successfully downloaded and installed PSP9. There doesn't seem to be any way to register for updates.

There are no updates. What you have is the fully updated v9, with whatever bug fixes might exist for it. The Jasc servers are long gone, which is why I told you not to try to register it.

Jasc sold the company to Corel 2 months after they released v9, and Corel then released Paintshop Pro X a short time later, and retired all support for Jasc's v9. Corel had no interest in supporting or providing patches for anything that might have been purchased from Jasc, rather than them. It was a money thing. If you want support from Corel, you have to buy a Corel version.

You could also mount these images and then use 'Folder2ISO' to create ISO files. Don't let the look from that page fool you, it is useful software if you are creating ISO files from any folder on your computer.

Handy for installing stuff into an OS in VirtualBox, which is my most frequent use for it. (I have a bunch of old 9x games that won't run very well on Win10)  :Thmbsup:

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2020, 06:15 PM »
MDF to ISO - worked for me, might depend on what info was included into the MDF to start with.

No need to install it, the installer can be extracted, (use UniExtract), and the executable directly run.

For some reason it took me 3 tries to get UniExtract to extract the executable properly. But it eventually worked. Thanks for the suggestion. :Thmbsup:

What makes you think it is corrupted while 4wd says it works?

The reason I ask is because I used MDF to ISO to convert my PSP8 MDF to an ISO and when I try to mount the ISO it says it is corrupt and can't be mounted. So I decided to bite the bullet and burn the MDF to a CD with ImgBurn and then rip that CD back into an ISO, and I can mount that one without issue.

I'm not sure what I'm using to try to mount it with. It's a context menu that shows up when I right-click an ISO file. It's been there so long I just assume it came with Windows 10. But maybe it comes with ImgBurn or some similar software I have installed.

But anyway, if anyone wants or needs the PSP8 or PSPX installation ISOs, I suppose I can provide them now.

I used to really like PaintShop Pro back in the day. But I didn't really like PSPX. These days I mostly use Paint.NET for most of my image manipulations.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 07:01 PM by Deozaan »

holt

• Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2020, 06:31 PM »

The reason I ask is because I used MDF to ISO to convert my PSP8 MDF to an ISO and when I try to mount the ISO it says it is corrupt and can't be mounted. So I decided to bite the bullet and burn the MDF to a CD with ImgBurn and then rip that CD back into an ISO, and I can mount that one without issue.

I'm not sure what I'm using to try to mount it with. It's a context menu that shows up when I right-click an ISO file. It's been there so long I just assume it came with Windows 10. But maybe it comes with ImgBurn or some similar software I have installed.

But anyway, if anyone wants or needs the PSP8 or PSPX installation CDs, I suppose I can provide them.

I used to really like PaintShop Pro back in the day. But I didn't really like PSPX. These days I mostly use Paint.NET for most of my image manipulations.
Thank you, Deozaan.  :Thmbsup:
According to app103, 'Jasc sold the company to Corel 2 months after they released v9, and Corel then released Paintshop Pro X a short time later,'
My installed PSP9 looks almost identical to my former install of PSP7, so it looks like it should be okay.

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2020, 09:01 PM »

I have the same option on my context menu, and it didn't work with the PSP7 ISO....It said it was corrupted. Thinking that it might have been an incomplete download, I downloaded it again, and again, and 3X it failed.

I assumed the mounting option came with Win10, too...or perhaps 7zip? I don't have ImgBurn and I don't think any of my burning software added it, since it never showed up before Win10.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2020, 11:31 PM »
I see. After asking about it here, I tried downloading the PSP 7 ISO and I also get the error that it is corrupted. Maybe Windows 10 or 7-Zip, whichever is adding the option to mount the disc images, isn't quite as useful as DaemonTools, which 4wd says worked with it perfectly.

I also loaded up my Win 10 VM and tried installing all 4 versions, PSP 7, 8, 9, and X. Trying to mount the PSP 7 ISO from VirtualBox also gave me an error. And it seems the CD I have for PSP X requires the serial key when installing it, and the serial I have is an upgrade key that requires a previous version of PSP to be installed. But I pointed it to my PSP 8 installation and then tried to launch PSP X and it said something about the PSP X being corrupt or illegal and it won't launch. I'm guessing that has to do with the activation servers being dead.

So just for the reference of anyone who may have been interested in my PSPX installer, it seems what I have is pretty much useless since it doesn't appear to work. But it was fun to see PSP 8's interface again after so many years. It's hard to believe how foreign it was to me when I used to be fairly comfortable with it. Definitely more complicated than riding a bike. ;)

I also briefly ran PSP 9, which looked almost exactly the same as PSP 8, but the UI looked a little more modern and sleek. And by modern I don't mean the recent trend of making everything flat again like it was during the Windows 95 era. :Thmbsup:

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. :)

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2020, 05:02 AM »
I still have the free PSPX installer from this offer, if anyone needs it.  Read the whole thread before deciding if the fuss & bother is worth it, though.

Personally, I'd just stick with Jasc's v7, 8, or 9, instead, and avoid any of the Corel versions.

holt

• Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2020, 07:04 AM »
I still have the free PSPX installer from this offer, if anyone needs it.  Read the whole thread before deciding if the fuss & bother is worth it, though.

Personally, I'd just stick with Jasc's v7, 8, or 9, instead, and avoid any of the Corel versions.
^It -this offer- is a major headache; I read most of the page and would avoid Corel's PSPX installer like the plague. I'm sticking with Jasc's PSP9, and thank you for the precautionary warning.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2020, 03:05 PM »

Even when PSPX was new, I preferred the older, non-Corel versions of PSP. I think I'll stick with the Jasc version(s) of PSP.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 03:35 PM by Deozaan »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2020, 04:16 AM »
Maybe Windows 10 or 7-Zip, whichever is adding the option to mount the disc images, isn't quite as useful as DaemonTools, which 4wd says worked with it perfectly.

Windows 10 adds a Mount context menu item, ImDisk Toolkit couldn't mount it either, yet works fine with DaemonTools (Ultra in my case).

Mounted it with DaemonTools again and created an ISO, (which mounted fine using Windows or ImDisk), per image, downloaded on the left, created on the right ... ~42MB difference in size.

Capture.PNGPaint Shop Pro 7

holt

• Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2020, 05:49 AM »
You can do wonders with PSP9's 'clone brush';
All content used in my post belongs to their respective owners, and if anyone complains, I'll be happy to delete this entire post;
Sparta Angel OA Mix
Sparta Angelic Base
edit: TinEye link
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 10:23 PM by holt »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2020, 11:11 AM »
Which part of that is the clone brush? :huh:

holt

• Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2020, 03:39 PM »
Which part of that is the clone brush? :huh:
The top two pix, #1 & #2, were all that I could find on youtube; both had unwanted writings, but in different places.

To get the initial pictures, in Windows 10, I grabbed my screen shots by pressing [logos + shift + s] in playback mode to hide youtube progress bar. Then I saved the two images in .jpg format for maximum compatibility.

Then, what I did was to transfer clean imagery from the same area in #1 to the same area in #2 which was over-written with the writing.
The result was the lower, third image, with all unwanted writing removed.
There were a few technical details; setting a convenient brush size (about half the height of the lettering in #2); and round or square brush shape; getting close-up magnification to make sure the selected pixel in #1 and #2 were the exact same pixels (I chose the lightest pixel in the angel's eye); then backing off and reducing both images to 50% of normal size to work with, and setting hardness, density, thickness, and opacity all to 100% for one-pass results.
Then you right-click on clean copy in #1 for pick-up, and left-click on the same spot in #2 for lay-down. I 'think' that's what I did; as the vintage kid's game commercial goes; "It's all in the wrist action." :)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2020, 04:00 PM »
All content used in my post belongs to their respective owners.
giving a link to the original would seem like the right thing to do :up:
Tom