ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Request: code editor (or extension) with synced second view with filtered lines?

<< < (3/5) > >>

anandcoral:
The feature is available in commercial UltraEdit https://www.ultraedit.com/, but since you are interested in free one, this will not do.
I remember I had one, few years ago, which filtered the text lines as I typed, but do not remember it now.
I will keep looking.

Regards,

Anand

Nod5:
The feature is available in commercial UltraEdit https://www.ultraedit.com/ -anandcoral (December 02, 2019, 10:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks. I'm trying it now in the UE trial. This comes closest to my OP wishlist so far. The hide lines feature for any type of textfile must first be enabled in the settings. After that we doubletap control+F to get "Find and Replace". Click filter checkbox, type a string and hit Enter. Not too slow. Line hiding looks like regular code folding. We can filter in or out and regex filter.

Two drawbacks:
- Filtering/unfiltering could be quicker and fewer steps. I see no direct hotkey to toggle unhide for all the previously hidden lines. But it can be done in two steps: Control+A to select all and then unhide through hotkey or command palette. The filtering command also shares UI with the find and replace. This means that we have to check/uncheck the filter checkbox in Find and Replace window when switching from filtering mode to find and replace mode. If would be quicker if they were separate popup windows.
- UE can split view the text. But any line filtering is synced when the second view is focused. So we can't shift back and forth between views and keep only one of them filtered.

But maybe there are workarounds to these issues through settings or scripts. I'll play some more with it.

Screenshot from UE's Find and Replace window

Screenshot of UE with split view after line filtering. Notice that both views are filtered.

but since you are interested in free one, this will not do.-anandcoral (December 02, 2019, 10:55 AM)
--- End quote ---
Free isn't required. But as a first step I mostly just want to test drive this kind of feature for a while, to figure out if and when it is most useful compared to regular find and replace and other methods.

My hunch is that the feature would be most useful, and that I'd find more use for it, if the filter/unfilter action is very quick. Ideally a keyboard shortcut for a small searchbox (not with a lot of checkboxes and other functionality) and then filter lines as you type. Similarly one step shortcuts to unfilter all lines, unfilter this line, and so on.

anandcoral:
Well as a user of UltraEdit for last 6 years, I can vouch UltraEdit is one of the best commercial text editor.
It has too many features, which may be overkill for you if you are just looking for filtering lines. Otherwise if you use it as code editor, you may not go back to any other editor, IMHO.

Regards,

Anand

superboyac:
Well as a user of UltraEdit for last 6 years, I can vouch UltraEdit is one of the best commercial text editor.
It has too many features, which may be overkill for you if you are just looking for filtering lines. Otherwise if you use it as code editor, you may not go back to any other editor, IMHO.

Regards,

Anand

-anandcoral (December 03, 2019, 12:27 PM)
--- End quote ---
i remember UE!  i liked it, good to hear it is still good.  i remember using it a lot.  then for some reason i liked editpad pro.  then sublime text came out and now everyone likes that.  but i still use editpad when i need it.  im going to check out UE i remember liking it.

Nod5:
UltraEdit is nice and capable. Sublime too. But so are VS Code and Atom, and they're both free. So I'd only switch over to UE/Sublime if it does something I need much better than Code/Atom. Will have to see how my testing with the line hide feature goes.

Digression: I love that there are so many user friendly and feature filled code editors to pick from - luxury! VS Code seem to pull ahead of all the others when it comes to user base, at least if this is a good indicator of that
https://insights.stackoverflow.com/survey/2019#technology-_-most-popular-development-environments

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version