ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Migrating from Ymail to Gmail

<< < (3/3)

Deozaan:
Is there a way to migrate from yahoo to gmail without losing any data? I need to maintain records of all my emails, more than a decade ago.-kalos (November 15, 2019, 09:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

1. Install email client with IMAP support
2. Add your GMail account to it using IMAP
3. Add your Yahoo account to it using IMAP
4. Drag all the messages in the Yahoo account to the GMail account
5. Go make coffee

Which is basically what sphere said above since it's the easiest way to do it.
-4wd (November 16, 2019, 02:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

I didn't know this was so easy!

Would this work from IMAP to POP? i.e., so I can archive my Gmail (IMAP) to a private account (POP) which I control and have a local copy of?

wraith808:
GMail has a feature to automatically forward messages being received at GMail to a different mail account. I make use of that feature. You should check if Yahoo has a similar feature. If it does (and chances are high, because it is a basic feature that almost all mail server software have built in), that would solve your problem of people stubbornly sending mails to your Yahoo mail account.

-Shades (November 15, 2019, 11:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

This is what I did to migrate from one GMail account to another, and it worked like aces.

4wd:
Is there a way to migrate from yahoo to gmail without losing any data? I need to maintain records of all my emails, more than a decade ago.-kalos (November 15, 2019, 09:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

1. Install email client with IMAP support
2. Add your GMail account to it using IMAP
3. Add your Yahoo account to it using IMAP
4. Drag all the messages in the Yahoo account to the GMail account
5. Go make coffee

Which is basically what sphere said above since it's the easiest way to do it.
-4wd (November 16, 2019, 02:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

I didn't know this was so easy!

Would this work from IMAP to POP? i.e., so I can archive my Gmail (IMAP) to a private account (POP) which I control and have a local copy of?
-Deozaan (November 16, 2019, 04:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

Sorry, I've only done IMAP to IMAP but there's nothing to stop you creating both IMAP and POP settings for the same account in the email client.
I suffix IMAP accounts with [IMAP] so I can tell them apart from POP, (using Thunderbird).

BTW, another email client based on Thunderbird: Interlink

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version