ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Migrating from Ymail to Gmail

(1/3) > >>

kalos:
Hello

I have been unlucky to have a yahoo email address from many years before gmail and I couldn't do the switch.

Now, everyone ignores my messages due to my @yahoo.com account which is associated with spammers and fraudsters.

Is there a way to migrate from yahoo to gmail without losing any data? I need to maintain records of all my emails, more than a decade ago.

Thanks!

Ath:
You can have both 'brands' of email next to each other in the same browser, no problem at all. Just inform all of your contacts of your changed address, after copying your contacts to gmail, several procedures can be found here.

sphere:
Email clients are great for this.  You can use an email client like Thunderbird like a file explorer/hub of sorts for multiple email accounts.
It would look something like this:
1) Add an account in Thunderbird (or a similar email client ) for your Yahoo email. I would set it up using IMAP- however if you wanted to download all the email off of Yahoo you could use POP.
2) In the settings/preferences for that email account choose which folders you want to subscribe/synchronize locally and how often.
3) Add another account in Thunderbird (or a similar email client) for whatever your new email will be. (ie your Google account)  Again IMAP works best.
4) Once again choose the email folders you want to subscribe/ synchronize.
5) Allow Thunderbird to download all the messages. It will be helpful if you make sure Thunderbird is downloading the entire message and not just the header/subject.

After all of your old emails are downloaded, you can copy or move messages and folders from one email account to the other. You can also set up Thunderbird so that it automatically copies/moves any new messages to your new email account using its filters and rules.  Thunderbird has to be running to do this.

You can also import your contacts using Thunderbird and synchronize them with your new email. I did a quick search on how to bring this contacts into Thunderbird. Link But I'm sure there's also a way to import them directly into your nor new email account.

You can have multiple email accounts and simply move the contents of folders from your Yahoo account to your new email account.

sphere:
After all of your old emails are downloaded, you can copy or move messages and folders from one email account to the other. You can also set up Thunderbird so that it automatically copies/moves any new messages to your new email account using its filters and rules.  Thunderbird has to be running to do this.

-sphere (November 15, 2019, 12:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

I wanted to add. Do some testing when transferring folders/files first.  I have had some difficulty copying entire folders like Inbox and Sent.  If you have created other sub folders those can likely be copied.

Tuxman:
Is there a way to migrate from yahoo to gmail
-kalos (November 15, 2019, 09:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

Because Google Mail will never be what Yahoo Mail is today!

Email clients are great for this.  You can use an email client like Thunderbird like a file explorer/hub of sorts for multiple email accounts.
-sphere (November 15, 2019, 12:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yup, except that Thunderbird is not recommendable.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version