ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Mouser's Zone

Be aware with online help: Screenshot Captor Quick-Capture bar turns on camera

(1/1)

jax200:
I have been happily using Screenshot Captor for many years now.  However, I recently installed the app to a new laptop and something happened.  While getting assistance from Microsoft Support the representative was browsing my laptop to troubleshoot something and suddenly I was surprised to see he turned on my camera.  He claimed I had a camera app running which he mistakenly selected.  Indeed, I was unaware that the Quick Capture bar has a button that will turn on the camera.   

Be aware that unless you disable this Screenshot Captor feature, your privacy might be compromised when allowing outside technical support!

Deozaan:
Are you sure it was really Microsoft Support? That's a common scam where someone claiming to be from Microsoft "helps" you fix something on your computer, but really they're doing other malicious things.

jax200:
Yes it was the real guy who unfortunately spent hours troubleshooting OneDrive, an MS app that has it's drawbacks if you have thousands of files or many large ones. All I wanted was a couple folders synched for a new laptop.  Not possible without pain.
About 7 years ago I was naive to allow one of those scammers access to my PC, but I quickly realized my error and shut him down immediately.

mouser:
Just to clarify, the feature you are talking about on the quick capture bar of Screenshot Captor is the function to grab a screenshot from your webcam, which you can also trigger from the main Capture menu of Screenshot Captor (near the bottom).  It doesn't record video just brings up a preview window showing the webcam view and a button you can press to capture an image from it.  I can see how it would be a suprise if you triggered it not knowing what it did!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version