ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Clipboard Help+Spell

Folders and Subfolders Question

(1/1)

BuckSkin:
Maybe I am missing something.
I wanted to cleanup and organize my multitude of clips.
I have many clips in "Favorites"
I created "child" groups in "Favorites"
I drag-dropped clips into the appropriate child groups (sub-folders)
Much to my dismay, all the many clips that I added to the child groups also STAYED in the parent "Favorites" folder.
When I deleted some clips from favorites, it also deleted them from the child group.
This behavior is not helping me in my organizing efforts; all of the clutter is still there.
What am I missing ?
Surely there is a way to MOVE clips from folder to folder instead of simply duplicating them.

Thanks for reading and all help is appreciated.

mouser:
CHS has two concepts of clips being in folders.  First, clips can physically be in ONE and ONLY ONE folder.
But second, clips can be shown in multiple "VIRTUAL" folders, where a virtual folder is defined by some database (SQL) conditions.

The FAVORITES folder is virtual, it shows all clips that have the "Favorite" database field checked.

So moving items around will not affect whether they are shown in the Favorites group, they will always be shown there as long as they are marked as a favorite item.

BuckSkin:
CHS has two concepts of clips being in folders.  First, clips can physically be in ONE and ONLY ONE folder.
But second, clips can be shown in multiple "VIRTUAL" folders, where a virtual folder is defined by some database (SQL) conditions.

The FAVORITES folder is virtual, it shows all clips that have the "Favorite" database field checked.

So moving items around will not affect whether they are shown in the Favorites group, they will always be shown there as long as they are marked as a favorite item.
-mouser (October 16, 2019, 02:05 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks
I figured out that unchecking the little box in the Favorites column, while not stopping the clip from being listed in the main window, did stop it from displaying in the Favorites fly-out menu.

Is "All Clips" a real folder or a virtual folder ?
Can I create real folders that will behave more to my liking ?

Thanks so much.

chashnniel:
Interesting question! ;)

I think "favorite" clips is the most used part. So it should be special(and I also think "All clips" are special vitual folder. both virtual and real. actually this is meaningless).

It doesn't matter if you have few clips in "favorite" (thus you don't even need to create child group in it)

But what about you have a lot of "favorite" clips? Lets make it 100. In this situation, you'd better create sub-folders if you don't want to scroll one by one(this is what "All clips" but not "favorite" should do) to the target.

People may say this can be done by other "virtual" folders. But with limitation!!

You can create whatever sub-folder under "favorite": work, email, macro, AHK, FFmpeg, 祝福语, поэзия... But as mouser said in other thread --
"Virtual" folders, which define a rule for clips (like all clips with a url or some text in them, or clips from a certain app, or taken during a certain time period) They are in fixed names!!!

So how about "double" define by database (SQL) conditions(I don't know the possibility since I'm not a coder)??
For example:
"favorite"               --    in favorite of cource;
"favorite"&"AHK"     --   in favorite/AHK only.
Same for the third+ level folder!

This should be a solution. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version